Still can't figure out what's killing my fish

Kat.C

Reaction score
I made a post before still can't figure out what's killing my fish it's like wasting away disease but have treated for internal parasites and external. it takes them 2 to 3 months to die, now I took everything out but one plant and I'm trying salt again. Also the males don't seem to be affected which is weird it's just the females They seem to lose their colour become very skinny and their poop looks mostly normal no worm looking things and they look a little constipated they act completely normal There's no discoloration there's nowhere lumps nothing There's no worms hanging out of anywhere I don't know what to do at this point but There's this one thing though that bothers me a fish died overnight obviously when I removed its body the following morning I noticed it was discolored it was green I've never seen this before I am so confused

Attachments

• 20210401_152015.jpg
    20210401_152015.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 69
  • 20210401_151709.jpg
    20210401_151709.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 69
  • 20210401_151606.jpg
    20210401_151606.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 20210401_151554.jpg
    20210401_151554.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 20210401_151533.jpg
    20210401_151533.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 67
What are the water parametres? And where did you get the fish from? Maybe it's bad genetics? The fancy guppies you get in pet stores tend to be inbred and prone to health issues. Maybe try getting fish from a different source? Or a healthier type, like Endlers or wild-type guppies. What are you feeding them btw?

Last edited:
What are the water parametres? And where did you get the fish from? Maybe it's bad genetics? The fancy guppies you get in pet stores tend to be inbred and prone to health issues. Maybe try getting fish from a different source? Or a healthier type, like Endlers or wild-type guppies. What are you feeding them btw?
Water is at 0 throughout ammonia, nitrate, nitrite and ph is 8.2 cuz of the salt normally its lower and I got them from family that had guppies for years and I feed them tropical flakes and boiled vegetables sometimes and I had another fish with them when they were in the 50 gallon a pleco that was given to me to and still going strong some damage but that's from it being in a ten gallon

Hm. It's a bit of a head-scratcher then. But if that family had them for years without adding new blood, they're definitely inbred, and maybe that is contributing to the problem (if not downright causing it). Some of the fish in the photos look like they have a curved spine, which can be either a result of the wasting disease, or caused by poor breeding. Ideally, such fish shouldn't be allowed to reproduce anymore, because it weakens the gene pool of the entire species. I don't know if bad genetics are causing the disease in your case, but they're definitely not helping. Fish tuberculosis (mycobacteriosis) could also explain some of the symptoms, including the knife-backed appearance of some of your fish (this one can transmit to humans so to be on the safe side it might be a good idea to use gloves when working around the tank). But if it's TB the fish would probably show some other symptoms, skin abnormalities, dropsy, trouble swimming etc. And it doesn't really explain why the females are more severely affected than the males. So it might just as well be something else. I also found a YouTube video that claims that the kind of wasting disease you're describing can happen in fry and females that have recently given birth, and the recommended treatment is to give them medicated food or antibiotics. Keep in mind that this came from a random YT video though, so I'd take it with a pinch of salt ? Have you tried Levamisole? I've heard some people use it to treat wasting disease caused by parasitic nematodes. Maybe for some reason the previous medication your used "missed" it. But if antiparasitics don't work, then maybe it's bacterial & you can try a broad-spectrum antibiotic (in a separate container, you don't want to kill off the beneficial bacteria). I'd also feed them a more varied diet, with different high quality foods - good nutrition is as important as clean water when it comes to keeping a fish's immune system healthy.
I'm sorry I can't be of any more help rn. If I find any more information I'll let you know.

Last edited:
If you are doing another thread on the same sick fish, try to stick a link here so we know what has been asked before, or continue using the original thread.

The fish in the following link looks like it has a microsporidian infection. Add 2-4 heaped tablespoons of rock salt for every 20 litres of water. Keep salt in there for 4 weeks.

How often do you do a water change and approximately how much water do you change out? Since you have plants in the aquarium are you using a fertilizer and if so which one? Also what is the GH of the tank water vessel the tap was GH.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back