Steve's 75 Gallon Journal

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

WayneVT08

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Here's some background:

First had a 55 gallon freshwater community up for a few weeks. I was looking at all the SW stuff on here and decided to make the change before I got too heavily into the freshwater aspect of the hobby. So first thing to do was to sell the 55 gallon and the stuff in it. I gave the 7 fish I had in it to a LFS. The fish were 3 baby angelfish, a sailfin pleco, and three zebra danios. I kept the snails and shrimp and put them in the only freshwater thing I have left, a small 10 gallon tank and now they are rooming with 6 Neon Tetras. So I sold the 55 gallon tank alone for 90 dollars USD, I then sold my original xbox and all my games for 80 to start to fund the amount for the new SW tank I'll be getting. I used one set of lights on the 10 gallon I have and donated the other set of lights to my friend for his little sisters 10 gallon. I basically only have 2 TopFin 60 filters left which at least one is going to be used for a mini-fuge along with a larger fuge in the sump, the mini fuge is mainly going to be for a food source for a Mandarin Dragonet that I will get farther down the road.

But enough writing, now for the fun.

Tank Specs
75 gallon 48"x18"x21" (Pretty sure its AGA)
20 gallon long sump 30"x12"12" I think.
Skimmer: TBA
Lighting: TBA (more then likely T-5's which I will buy locally and retrofit them into my canopy.
LR: 60-70 lbs of LR
Sand: enough to have at least a 2-3 inch bed.
Circulation: 1 Hydor Koralia 3, 1 Hydor Koralia 4, along with whatever I use for my pump to create a Vortex effect so that the tank gets perfect circulation.

Corals:
LPS first, maybe some SPS down the road, near the very top of the tank.

Stocking: (To be adjusted)
2x Clownfish (Ocellaris/Percula)(TB/TR)
1x Bicolor Blenny
1x Kaudern's Cardinal
1x Firefish
1x Neon Goby (possibly)
1x Watchman Goby/Pistol Shrimp pair
1x Royal Gramma Basslet (possibly)
1x Green Mandarin (possibly)
1x Convict Tang

CUC:
No hermits, only snails.
A few peppermint shrimp
1x Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

My friend is ordering me some stuff off of liveaquaria.com since he has a 15% off coupon, so I'll be getting the Hydor Koralia's, the 250 watt heater, and the Reef crystal salt off of there in a week or two.

Getting the tank, stand and canopy, along with a skimmer next weekend for 100 USD, and the guy is going to help me get it plumbed and "set-up" even though I still have to run electricity to the wall where it's going to be at in my basement. It will be a while, but I'm going to try to document it all the way through, maybe not the electrical since my dad would get pissed that I would be taking pictures and not helping so I may omit that part, but I'll try.

Hey mate, sounds like a good set-up. Have you worked out your overflow/drainage to the sump yet?

hes getting a second hand tank with the sump included, if i recall correctly he said it was drilled.

Ok, cool, looking forward to seeing how it comes together!

The tank is just coming with the stand and the canopy, and I'll be building the sump along with some help from you guys and a friend of mine that lives close to me. So that's how the sump is gonna be, I really am just gonna put out the money for the sump build, my friend is gonna lay out most of the stuff in it, he'll just tell me what to do. I'm thinking 3-4 compartments, one for the equipment, then the sump part, refugium, then a part for the return. This is all going to be going into a 20 gallon long, so I might have to compensate for that, by reducing it to 3 compartments, and having my two HOB filters act as refugiums inside the canopy.

have a 3 stage sump, first stage equipment, second stage refugium and any other equipment that didnt fit in the first stage, and third stage return pump. Remember 20 longs are very short so you may need to find a short skimmer to work with it. Remember to get a light for the refugium :)

Yeah I know, I'm thinking of a small fluorescent bulb, the swirly ones, with the weird ends, its like a swirl shaped thing.

The guy I'm buying from said that the skimmer that he's giving me says it will fit in a 20 long. Since that's what he was using. So he's gonna lay out the sump for me and I'm gonna put it into action.

Sorry for the long space between updates, I got the tank and it is drilled back left hand side at the bottom. It's a nice tank, just need to get some of the junk off the front glass then it will be spot on.

But pics will be coming shortly. My dad has to get home with the camera.

Here are the pics.

First few are the main tank, needs a little more cleaning up, but it's presentable.

IMG_0817.jpg

Next is the overflow box.

IMG_0818.jpg

NExt is the drilled holes in the back left bottom corner.

IMG_0820.jpg

Next is gonna be the sump, it's a 20 long.

IMG_0815.jpg

The rest are pics of the stand.

IMG_0819.jpg

IMG_0805.jpg

IMG_0804.jpg

Don't know what happened to the last one, but enjoy!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back