Steve's 60cm - " Old Stump On The Hill "

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

DevUK

UKAPS member
Reaction score
This is a tank I set up some weeks ago, and had a few problems with (mainly diatoms and GSA). I added CO2 on Friday, after aquiring a regulator from a forum member, and today I've given it a good prune and tidy up :) Still got some bad diatoms on some leaves, so please ignore that ;)

Specs:
Aqua One 60x30x45
2x24w T5 Luminaire - 1x Arcadia Plant Pro, 1x Sylvania tube - On for 6hrs.
Tetratec EX1200
CO2 on 24x7 at the moment (may try and get a solenoid) via nano diffuser and FE

I have Tropica Plant Substrate mounded in the middle/rear capped with Unipac Zambezi sand. I've then used TGM small graded gravel and some other mixed grade gravels which I had lying about, and some small stones from my garden. I've used the redmoor root I had in my little 27 litre shrimp tank, with the bolbitis, narrow fern and fissidens still attached, and added a second piece which I bought at TGM last year.

Planting:
Bolbitis Heudelotii
Microsorum Pterptus "Narrow"
Cryptocoryne Parva
Hydrocotyle Verticillata
Staurgyne sp.
Anubias "nana"
Anubias "bonzai"
Cyperus Helferi
Fissidens Fontanus
Vesicularia Dubyana "mini"
Taxiphyllum Alternans (I think!)

No fish/inverts yet. I plan to move my remaining cherries into here, along with the micro rasbora I have in 2 tanks (Boraras maculata and "mosquito" rasbora, Boraras urophthalmoides I think).

And to the photos!

Front:
June2009_Front01.jpg

Left side:
June2009_Side02.jpg

Right side:
June2009_Side01.jpg

Closeup of the front:
June2009_Close01.jpg

Given the scape a title, though I'm not 100% on it! :)

I love Bolbitis it gives your tank a forest floor feel. Right now, I can't say much about the scape except that I think you need to give it some time. Right now, other than directly in the middle, you don't have much planted. It could also be the middle aspect of it. I usually shift my focal point to one side slightly, but I've seen much better Nature layouts than mine with the focal at the center, so what do I know? :lol:

Nice to see you again. I miss the old crew.

llj

I'm going to give this another good hacking back after some advice from people like Graeme Edwards and George Farmer (you've gotta listen when you have this calibre of aquascapers giving you suggestions!) :D

It'll look pretty different in a few days when most of the bolbitis is chopped back. Hopefully it'll grow back quick!

Well, I got the strimmer out last night and gave it a good going over! Heres a (crappy) iPhone snap I took this morning:

From this:

June2009_Front01.jpg

to this:

July09_Front.jpg

Really Cool Scape Steve

Got some growth comming through already on the fern and bolbitis. I actually chopped off some bolbitus rhizome, to help shape the new growth so it hopefully doesn't take over the whole scape!

hey i know you listed each plant but could you please tell me which one is the one which has a flat round cap sort of like a musroom near the front, thanks

Thanks i did check some of the plants you listed but got distracted by glosso carpets somehow not sure how hmm never mind. Thanks for thehelp must say that plant and your entire tank look very eyecatching

You know, the pictures look better here than they do at UKAPS. I just noticed that. They seem clearer. Wierd.

llj

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back