Sterbai Cory's and Lake Malawi Cichlids?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

DGJ

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience of Sterbai Cory's and african cichlids?

I've got 6 in the tank now but I am transitioning it to a cichlid tank, not fussed on re-homing the angels and tetras but absolutely love the little Cory's. Would they be suitable to keep with the Cichlids or will they get bullied/attacked?

I'm not sure but would err on the side of caution and say no, the only catfish suitable to keep with them are Synos and possibly bristlenose, I have a malawi tank with a Synodontis multipunctatus which are often found in the wild with them so I would go with one of those if you can.

Corydoras come from water with a pH around 7.0 or lower, and a GH below 100ppm.
Lake Malawi cichlids come from hard alkaline water (pH 7.6-8.0, GH 300ppm).

Temperament wise, some of the Lake Malawi cichlids are reasonably peaceful, but most are nasty and cause problems to other fish living in their area.

If you want to keep the Cories, put them in a different tank and give the Lake Malawi cichlids their own tank.

Totally different water requirements should really be enough of a reason. The probable attacks would be secondary.

Not a good mix at all. Go for some species of synodontis cat that can thrive in the same water conditions as the Malawis. There are so many cool species to choose from.

I agree with all the above posts.
Also, take note that Lake Malawi Cichlids are very aggressive.
They will kill the Corydoras.

In the past, I made a mistake to give my Corydoras to a stupid friend.
He put the Corydoras with his Malawi Cichlids..
Then he told me that the Malawi Cichlids killed them.
My stupid friend who despite of having 10-20 yrs of keeping fish still don't know anything about most species of fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back