Step By Step Guide To A Moss Wall

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
There are some important things to consider when trying to create a moss wall.

1. Do you have enough moss?
If you try and do a moss wall with too small an amount (speaking from experience) it will look bad.
Take ages and ages to show any sign of growing.
Be covered in algae before there is enough moss grown to cover it.
My second attempt saw me buying £50 of christmass moss to do an 80cm x 45cm wall. This was the cheapest I could buy it (about 1 litre in size) and still didn't completely fill the mesh

2. What type of moss are you using?
If you use java or Taiwan moss then they are a more stringy kind of moss.. I decided on christmass moss because it's a more bushy style and actually pokes through the holes in the mes.

3. What fish have you got in the tank?
Also from expereince I have found taht Otos and Tetras will stick their noses through the mesh and often get caught. In a heavily planted tank by the time you notice and pull them out, only the body is left and the snails have eaten the whole head area, whilst other fish have eaten most of the tail. It may be a good idea to do it in an unstocked tank to let it grow before letting the curious little fishies into it.

4. What is your fixing method?
If you are using suckers or magnets make sure that there are plenty so that fish cannot creep behind through gaps, because they inevitably get lost once in there and die. Also make sure the mesh is virtually the exact width of the wall you are trying to fill. Bury the bottom in the substrate and make sure the top is above water.

5. As said before be very very patient. This takes time and sometimes a few attempts to get it right.

6. What equipment are you using?
If you have a spraybar or other equipment on your back wall then you will have to cut holes in both mesh sheets and put your suckers behind and poking though the mesh.
I have now got glass in/out pipes which fix outisde the tank which is very useful. I do however have a corner diffusor so I have 1 sucker inside poking through in the way I have detailed above.

Lastly Be patient in the planning. Be patient in the making. And be very very patient for the completed article!!

I have no pics as my second attempt was put in situ last week and I am assuming that it will take several months to complete the desired effect.

Andy

Sorry Lisa I didn't follow up my post here. lol

I ripped out the moss wall in September last year as it had reduced my Otos from 8 to 3 and my cardinals from 20 to 10.. Deadly things that mesh. It was starting to grow and I saved all the christmas moss which is now tied to other various pieces.

Yes it is Andy

nice one pseud, if only i could find that grid thing. i've looked everywhere over here and cant find it anywhere.

any UK people seen it anywhere?

Most John Lewis have a habberdashers section that stock it.

Do a search on Ebay for plastic canvas mesh, then scroll down to the shop area, (will probably bring nothing up in the auction section) or if you want somthing with slightly larger holes Homebase do some stiff"ish" mesh in the garden section.

Pictureghw007.jpg

White/Clear mesh is from Ebay (about £1 a sheet and available in diff colours ) and the green mesh from Homebase about .90p a mtr ;) :good:

For those of you thinking of trying the idea, I bought this on eBay recently...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...N:IT&ih=016

Not expensive, and I must say they were generous with the mesh – the sheets I received were 15 inches by 10 inches, not 12x8. I can't say if it works or not yet, as I'm still waiting for the moss to arrive.
One other thing: I am not going to be so ambitious as to try a whole wall. I'm thinking about a strip running the width of the tank, but only 3 or 4 inched deep, and some odd-shaped 'patches' dotted about – wherever they look good.
I will get back to you with some pictures – if and when it works...

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have read through this method and will be trying one of my own in the near future. The method I use will expose most of the moss to the actual tank rather than wedge it between two pieces of mesh and wait for it to peak through. It might reduce the reported incidents of fish deaths and stringy look associated with building a traditional moss wall. I'll let you know how it goes. It will probably fail. :lol:

We'll see. :)

I have read through this method and will be trying one of my own in the near future. The method I use will expose most of the moss to the actual tank rather than wedge it between two pieces of mesh and wait for it to peak through. It might reduce the reported incidents of fish deaths and stringy look associated with building a traditional moss wall. I'll let you know how it goes. It will probably fail. :lol:

We'll see. :)

That is the way i reccomend it, the moss grows much quicker & healthier and if covered well can be complete in a few weeks, albeit that is in a high tech tank :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back