Step By Step Guide To A Moss Wall

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

pseud

Nyah Nyah Nyah!
Reaction score
You will need:

2 x CrossStitch grids. Check your local needlework supply store. (Michaels or JoAnns in the USA)

8 x Small, round, strong magnets

Aquarium Sealant

Non stretchy, nylon line (may be called monofilament. Get it from the beading section when you get your cross stitch grids)

Scissors.

A Comfortable seat. Time. Patience.

03.jpg

Take your first grid and glue a magnet to each corner. Cover the entire magnet in sealant. They will rust if you don't seal them in the silicone. Leave to dry for at least 24 hours.

04.jpg

Then take your other cross-stitch grid:

05.jpg

...and cut the corners off as shown.

Now place the moss onto the first grid.

06.jpg

Place the second grid on top and line it up. Cut pieces of nylon line several inches in length. Thread each end through two adjacent squares and tie it TIGHT. Do this every one or two square inches along the grid. This takes a lot of time and patience. You may need to do it in more than one sitting. Take the time to do it properly and your moss wall will benefit. If the two grids aren't flush against each other, then they'll be space inbetween them. The moss wont get enough light to grow inside those little pockets, so it wont start to grow through the holes. Your wall will grow to look patchy and... not good.

Now, once it's all tied together nicely place it in your aquarium. Press it against the black glass, with the magnets at the front, that is do NOT sandwich the magnets between the glass and the grid. Instead you should have the glass at the back, the grid with magnets glued to in the middle, and then the grid with the corner pieces cut out at the front. This will keep your moss wall flush against the back and prevent any fish/shrimp getting trapped behind it. Now just use magnets on the outside to make it 'stick', and you're all set.

(Sorry, no more pictures as yet.)

Great thread pseud. I'm surprised no one else has replied.

I've edited Jimbooo's first post in his pinned Riccia-moss thread to include a link to here.

Thanks for taking the time to do this mate - it is appreciated.

Great thread pseud. I'm surprised no one else has replied.

I've edited Jimbooo's first post in his pinned Riccia-moss thread to include a link to here.

Thanks for taking the time to do this mate - it is appreciated.

Thanks, and no problem! Been meaning to do it for a while but kept neglecting to resize the pics.

By the way guys, I'll edit some more pics into the first post later once the wall gets established somewhat.

Great stuff ! Would love to see some more pics and the final product - and how you maintain it on the longer term :)

Sounds great! Please,please carn't you put some in situ pic's of your moss wall.

Sounds great! Please,please carn't you put some in situ pic's of your moss wall.

nice one pseud, if only i could find that grid thing. i've looked everywhere over here and cant find it anywhere.

any UK people seen it anywhere?

nice one pseud, if only i could find that grid thing. i've looked everywhere over here and cant find it anywhere.

any UK people seen it anywhere?
A proper needlecraft / hobbyshop should stock it :)

Good job, cant wait to see picture of it in the tank once its grown and started to cover the mesh.

Good idea pseud. Does the grid cover the entire back of the tank?

Nope. I think each grid is about A4/Letter size. Around that. But the great thing is you can cut them to any size and shape. I have a large piece of driftwood in my tank that touched the back of the glass. I'm making another one with a hole in the middle to go around the wood. The moss will grow on the wall and then start growing along the wood.

Most reactions

Back