Starting Up Some Parrot Cichlids

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

hannemas

Reaction score
Hi, My girlfriend and I own a 5 and 10 gallon tank. In the 5 gallon tank we have two Chinese Algae Eaters (not purposefully was told they were regular algae eaters) and My girlfriend wants to get some Parrot Cichlids. I have done the research and it brings me to all this Blood Parrot information, and say they get really big and need a huge tank. Well, at the pet store they have them listed as Parrot Cichlids are Blood and Parrot Cichlids the same thing or different. I do not want to get these fish and put them in our 5g tank and have them grow up to be huge and unhealthy or depressed. Please Help
thanks.gif

Yes, blood parrots and parrot cichlids will probably be the same thing, a;though there is a 'true' parrot cichlid which is different (and quite rare and expensive).

Neither would be suitable for your little tanks; they would be very unhealthy, unhappy and would probably get sick and die very soon.

They would need a tank in the 40/50 gallon sort of size.

I feel I ought to warn you that the CAE aren't suitable inhabitants for a 5 or 10 gallon tank either; they get to about a foot long as adults, so you're going to have to look at rehoming or getting a larger tank for them too.

For small tanks, like yours, you should be looking at fish that get to no more than two inches as adults.

Thanks. And yeah the CAE just got put there because they are getting 5+ inches now and I thought they were regular AE. It wasn't until 3 days ago when we moved my 10g from my parents to my current place was when my friend recognized them and realized what they were. My buddy told me to flush them because they were garbage fish and are not good. Morally I couldn't do it and just grabbed my 5g and put them in there.

I know what your buddy means about the CAE!

They stop eating algae as they grow, and often develop a taste for sucking the slime coat of other fish, which leads them open to injuries and infections, but flushing them is not the solution; it's cruel, and the fish can't help they way they are, so good on you for not listening :good:

They will need a bigger tank, ASAP; in the meantime do as many, large water changes as you can; that'll stop them getting sick and stunted while you sort out a new home for them.

ok thanks. I will either donate them to my LFS or see if they will take them. If i were to keep them what would their diet consist of?

Catfish pellets, with the occasional prawn would be fine for them.

You would need a tank at least 4'x15"x15"

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back