Starting to collect house plants!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
Been watching Etsy and my local Loweā€™s and Home Depot for good deals on plants, but havenā€™t found anything for a while! Loweā€™s had some cute plants in tiny pots for a good price, but I was on a time limit and couldnā€™t figure out how to scan them (my brother demands we use self checkout) so had to put them back. Today at my local Krogerā€™s I found these two beauties! A fiddle leaf fig and a snake plant (thatā€™s what sansevieria is right?)! Only $15 each. I had a lot (to me) of cash from the holidays so snatched them up! Ignore the messy bedroom. My brother is staying in my room while we have guests in town and he is MESSY
41A41D85-A232-488B-9A9A-6796F3F566C4.jpeg

I struggle with succulents that I pick up from Kroger or Lowes. I suspect that it is the soil they are in, not well drained. Any advice?

I struggle with succulents that I pick up from Kroger or Lowes. I suspect that it is the soil they are in, not well drained. Any advice?
Well I just water them very moderately. Maybe once every week or so. And just a little bit. A few cups for a big 10 inch pot.

I wonder if I can manage to grow some type of exotic fruit tree or palm tree in my house and have them consistently producing fruit
I already grow some hot pepper plants under grow lights and they pretty consistently produce a bunch of peppers

also to answer @Oblio 's question I always switch out my soil for my own mix according to the plant's requirements and use fish tank water, since it is rich in nutrients for terrestrial plants
I also replant them in usually larger pots than they need, usually specifically sized plastic storage containers (I don't know what the requirements are for your plants are though)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello. I have started collecting houseplants! I used to have a spider plant, but it wasnā€™t looking great when I bought it and just did not do well. Add a whole two weeks of no care (vacation) and the thing is long gone. So now I have a golden pothos sitting on my tank. I have a birthday coming up, then thereā€™s Christmas. Over time I am hoping to get

monstera deliciosa (Swiss cheese plant)
monstera adonasii (Swiss cheese vine)
parlor fern
fiddle leaf fig
zz plant
snake plant
spider plant
boston fern
succulents

the plants have varying humidity needs, so I plan to have them in different areas of my bedroom. Unfortunately I canā€™t have any outside my bedroom because many of them are toxic to dogs. My bedroom is off limits to the dogs, for the most part. Griffin (my aussie) is allowed in there only if Iā€™m in there.

A photo of my lovely little golden pothos to come
I have close to 60 house plants. Anything from different kinds of orchids, pothos, philodendrons to corn stalks, snake plants etc. I've always had a ton of plants, they brighten up a room and are excellent for oxygen exchange. You will do great, can't wait to see your pothos. šŸ šŸ˜€ šŸŒ±

Been watching Etsy and my local Loweā€™s and Home Depot for good deals on plants, but havenā€™t found anything for a while! Loweā€™s had some cute plants in tiny pots for a good price, but I was on a time limit and couldnā€™t figure out how to scan them (my brother demands we use self checkout) so had to put them back. Today at my local Krogerā€™s I found these two beauties! A fiddle leaf fig and a snake plant (thatā€™s what sansevieria is right?)! Only $15 each. I had a lot (to me) of cash from the holidays so snatched them up! Ignore the messy bedroom. My brother is staying in my room while we have guests in town and he is MESSYView attachment 150997
Nice find...the snake plant is also know as mother in law tongue, lol.

I wonder if I can manage to grow some type of exotic fruit tree or palm tree in my house and have them consistently producing fruit
I already grow some hot pepper plants under grow lights and they pretty consistently produce a bunch of peppers

also to answer @Oblio 's question I always switch out my soil for my own mix according to the plant's requirements and use fish tank water, since it is rich in nutrients for terrestrial plants
I also replant them in usually larger pots than they need, usually specifically sized plastic storage containers (I don't know what the requirements are for your plants are though)
I will likely be re potting mine soon. I am on the lookout for decorative planters in the sizes I need. Maybe next time I am at Lowes!
You will do great, can't wait to see your pothos. šŸ šŸ˜€ šŸŒ±
Aw thanks! Wow thats a lot of house plants! I would love to have dozens of them, but I am restricted to keeping them only in my bedroom because of the pets... I may be able to talk my sisters into a fern and some trailing plant for the bathroom though! Did I never post a photo of the pothos?! I will do that as soon as my phone is charged up.

Hello. I have started collecting houseplants! I used to have a spider plant, but it wasnā€™t looking great when I bought it and just did not do well. Add a whole two weeks of no care (vacation) and the thing is long gone. So now I have a golden pothos sitting on my tank. I have a birthday coming up, then thereā€™s Christmas. Over time I am hoping to get

monstera deliciosa (Swiss cheese plant)
monstera adonasii (Swiss cheese vine)
parlor fern
fiddle leaf fig
zz plant
snake plant
spider plant
boston fern
succulents

the plants have varying humidity needs, so I plan to have them in different areas of my bedroom. Unfortunately I canā€™t have any outside my bedroom because many of them are toxic to dogs. My bedroom is off limits to the dogs, for the most part. Griffin (my aussie) is allowed in there only if Iā€™m in there.

A photo of my lovely little golden pothos to come

A few of mine.
6968E5AC-B15D-4B2D-B955-6C18BAA5A278.jpeg
5CF7AD66-C7C4-4528-ADE7-19AC9B626ABD.jpeg
A810C4E1-B0BE-4DA2-8933-6C4CCCBD17BD.jpeg

Do you rinse off the old soil , or just shake and replant into well drained soils (such as sand)) ?

I've experimented a lot with water loving houseplants in fish tanks. Yes, our worlds can come together.
I've grown large Boston ferns with their roots in tanks, and a small peace lily I got a few years ago is now three enormous, healthy flowering plants, with roots in the tank. I've also done well with pothos and mostrera, roots in. They make excellent filters.
My fishroom, a multi-tank set up, didn't have the best light, but it is now largely emptied and will restart in new quarters with a lot of sunlight, sometime in early Spring, I hope. Then I can really go to town.
I plan on restarting yellow tickweed (Coreopsis) and basil, both of which grew well all winter with their roots poking through plastic egg crate from old fluorescent office lights, into the aquarium water.

I also use house plants on glass covers, and broad leaves overhead calm the fish. It doesn't matter if they are in your home - instinct says diving birds are always a danger, and some jumpy fish don't even flinch when leaves are overhead.

I've experimented a lot with water loving houseplants in fish tanks. Yes, our worlds can come together.
I've grown large Boston ferns with their roots in tanks, and a small peace lily I got a few years ago is now three enormous, healthy flowering plants, with roots in the tank. I've also done well with pothos and mostrera, roots in. They make excellent filters.
My fishroom, a multi-tank set up, didn't have the best light, but it is now largely emptied and will restart in new quarters with a lot of sunlight, sometime in early Spring, I hope. Then I can really go to town.
I plan on restarting yellow tickweed (Coreopsis) and basil, both of which grew well all winter with their roots poking through plastic egg crate from old fluorescent office lights, into the aquarium water.

I also use house plants on glass covers, and broad leaves overhead calm the fish. It doesn't matter if they are in your home - instinct says diving birds are always a danger, and some jumpy fish don't even flinch when leaves are overhead.
I have 3 pothos in my only tank, the fish love the cover. Boston fern....now I have 1 that would love to dunk roots, great idea! šŸ˜ƒ

Oh my, now I want a Boston fern! Might move some cuttings from my monstera (I dropped something on it and it broke a bunch of the stems) to one of my tanksā€¦ my pothos too.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back