Starting tank up from scratch again

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Cossack1977

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Ok. As most of you are aware i lost all my fish so decided to pull the tank down and do a full rebuild.

I have already bleached the wood and all the filter parts.
All the plants are in a strong saltwater solution
And yes i am using the same filter media. (shock horror) I went and spoke to my lfs and they basically told me it was pointless getting all new filter media unless i also got rid all the plants. Now i have atleast 200 worth of plants in the tank so i preffer not to take that as an option. I asked if i could wash them in a bleach solution but they said i would have to soak them in a mild bleach solution for atleast 12hrs and by that time most of them would be dead. If it was a disease hopefully a 100% water change new gravel and everything else cleaned well should get rid of it or atleast drop it down to next to nothing and if the tank was somehow poisned then hopefully it should be fine when i put it all back together.

Now in the tank rebuild i want to teir the gravel

_
_|
_|
|

I hoping to make it look more like a bank of a river.

Can i use bricks under the gravel.

I would of course soak the bricks in a strong bleach solution and then boil them in water to clean them.

If this wont work has anyone got any other ideas.

i was also thinking about making a few few brick caves
__
| |

would this also work

any advice is appreciated.

Once again like to thank everyone for there help in trying to find out what was wrong with the tank and everyones condolences.

If you didn't read the problem it's here

http://fish.orbust.net/forums/index.php?sh...showtopic=36400

It sounds to me like you're taking very thorough precautions and I look forward to hearing how your new tank turns out. I don't think there would be a problem with using clean, new bricks. There are other ways to do terracing as well. Do a google search for "dutch aquascape" for starters...

Good luck!!! :thumbs:

modernhamlet said:
It sounds to me like you're taking very thorough precautions and I look forward to hearing how your new tank turns out. I don't think there would be a problem with using clean, new bricks. There are other ways to do terracing as well. Do a google search for "dutch aquascape" for starters...

Good luck!!! :thumbs:
THANKS modernhamlet

ill be doing this search now

before you put them in do a vinager check (put a drop or 2 of vinager on it if it bubbles there is somthing wrong)

dragonfish4life said:
before you put them in do a vinager check (put a drop or 2 of vinager on it if it bubbles there is somthing wrong)
Thanks dragonfish4life
what is the vinager test. what does it show?

if the vinager starts foaming it means there is something in the brick that could change the PH

My dad has a big tank build fom bricks ( sealed ) and some caves and stuff from bricks and cement with nothing to seal them. The tank is over 10 years old and is still holding about 15 oscars and plecos and lots of tinfoil barbs.

I would say IME bricks are save.

Just make sure they are clay based bricks and not cement based, clay bricks should be inert and will not harm aquatic life or change water parameters but cement based bricks contain lime and many chemicals which will kill all the fish.

CFC my dad tank is all cement and 10 years later all the fish is still fine... It might be just a location thing

Cement birck is thoses big gray bricks with the really big holes

CFC my dad tank is all cement and 10 years later all the fish is still fine... It might be just a location thing

Cement and concrete tanks and ponds need to be sealed with a resin or waterproof paint before they are safe for fish, i expect your fathers tank is sealed, either that or he has the hardiest fish on the planet and the luck of the devil :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back