Starting over!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

RedSarah

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all! My two nano aquariums, a 30C (7.1 US gallons/27 liters) and a 25C (4 US gallons/15 liters), were getting a little tired and overgrown. I don't have any fish at the moment so I decided to tear them both down and rebuild them. Thought this would be a good time to start a journal on their progress.

The 30C has been through many permutations in the last few weeks and the hardscape is still subject to change. The idea was to create a central composition that provides cover and doesn’t take away too much swimming space from the fish. I’m not confident that I achieved this ? and I’m honestly not completely sold on the spider wood pieces. Maybe the left piece has to come forward a little? Anyway, even though I planned to plant it this weekend, I may look for some branchy pieces of Malaysian driftwood instead. Or at least some small pieces of spider wood for detail.

IMG_2292.JPG
Hardscape + substrate
- Spider wood
- Frodo stone
- ADA Amazonia

Equipment
- UNS 30C aquarium
- ONF flat nano light
- Dymax slim flo HOB filter with Fluval Biomax, coarse sponge, and filter floss
- Aqueon pro adjustable heater (not in there yet because it’s large and ugly)

For the 25C, I went for a simple Iwagumi-style layout. I have a very hard time designing cube aquariums so any advice is appreciated on both tanks. I'm going a simple route with the plants in this tank, as well—just dwarf hair grass, moss, and possibly some stems in the back.

IMG_2246.JPG
Hardscape + substrate
- Black lava rock
- ADA La Plata sand

Equipment
- UNS 25C aquarium
- Chihiros RGB 30 light
- Azoo Mignon HOB filter with Fluval Biomax, coarse sponge, and filter floss.

I've got my cyanoacrylate super glue ready and the next update will be the tanks after they're planted! Unless I go and buy new driftwood...

I don't believe we've ever met (hi!), but I look forward to seeing your progress. Are you going to put anything fish or shrimp in them?

Hi,
Very nice start to your new projects. You have a good eye toward aquascaping, just wishing I did....lol
Looking forward to seeing your progress.

I don't believe we've ever met (hi!), but I look forward to seeing your progress. Are you going to put anything fish or shrimp in them?

Nice to meet you!

Yes, I'm considering clown killifish or a pea puffer for the 7 gallon, but I'm not sure about the 4 gallon yet. Maybe a betta, or a colony of neocaridina. The possibilities aren't endless with these tiny tanks, but I can't have anything too big as I'm renting an apartment :X

Hi,
Very nice start to your new projects. You have a good eye toward aquascaping, just wishing I did....lol
Looking forward to seeing your progress.
Thank you! I've watched a lot of aquascaping videos in the last few weeks, haha. Definitely will update this thread once they're planted.

Nice start to your 2 nano tanks. I'll be checking on your progress so post pics as you go along.
Our next Tank of the Month contest starting on March 1st will feature tanks sized at 16 gallons and smaller. Perhaps enter that contest with one of your tanks. We will have another contest for nano tanks in June if you are not ready to enter the March contest.

We are accepting entries for tanks sized at 31 gallons and larger right now. So those members with tanks of that size should consider entering this month's contest.

Both look really cool what are your planting plans? On the first one the cut ends of the wood don’t quite look natural you can crush then with plyers and it makes it look more like a natural branch or root with a tapered end though.
Wills

Nice start to your 2 nano tanks. I'll be checking on your progress so post pics as you go along.
Our next Tank of the Month contest starting on March 1st will feature tanks sized at 16 gallons and smaller. Perhaps enter that contest with one of your tanks. We will have another contest for nano tanks in June if you are not ready to enter the March contest.

We are accepting entries for tanks sized at 31 gallons and larger right now. So those members with tanks of that size should consider entering this month's contest.
Thanks! I'm very slow but hopefully they'll be ready in time for the June contest, haha.

Both look really cool what are your planting plans? On the first one the cut ends of the wood don’t quite look natural you can crush then with plyers and it makes it look more like a natural branch or root with a tapered end though.
Wills
Thank you, that's a great suggestion about the ends of the branches.

The 7 gallon will have a few types of buce, anubias nana petite, java fern, and java moss, with some dwarf sag in the front and easy stems in the back. The 4 gallon will just have dwarf hair grass (if I can keep it alive) and moss attached to the rocks.

Thank you, that's a great suggestion about the ends of the branches.

The 7 gallon will have a few types of buce, anubias nana petite, java fern, and java moss, with some dwarf sag in the front and easy stems in the back. The 4 gallon will just have dwarf hair grass (if I can keep it alive) and moss attached to the rocks.
I've just put some Lilaeopsis Brassiliensis in one of my tanks and at least in its early stages is really fine leaves and not really far from hair grass and I think meant to be a bit easier if the harigrass fails. I have some in my high tech tank and not sure how it would do without Co2 and high lighting.

Wills

Phew, last week was busy, but I went to the LFS today and bought another piece of wood. I got home and immediately thought it wasn't going to work with the other pieces. After fiddling around with them a little, I think it's looking better than before. Still have to crush/sand down those cut ends though. I was procrastinating but now I'm excited to start planting.

IMG_2545.JPG

@Wills I'll check out the Lilaeopsis Brassiliensis! I think there will be some trial and error with plants I haven't kept before so I may end up ordering some.

Last edited:
Here's a little peek at my progress on the 30C. I'm avoiding posting a picture from straight on for now, because something about that view is bothering me lol... I think it's the lack of plant height. Hopefully things look better once the stems grow in. I think I'm going to attach more moss to the wood, as well.

The large rock in the front left will be removed in a few days, it's just weighing down the pesky floating driftwood :X

E091E647-EBD1-4DCD-8419-68550891555E.JPG

_DSC0394.JPG

_DSC0389.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back