Starting over, sort of

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

PrairieSunflower

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
So..... I battled impossible to cure velvet fir several months and had to give in and euthanize my remaining fish.

I have just three amano shrimp that have survived. Even most of my plants had to go. I'm left with just some cut offs of anubias nana to regrow.

I'm planning to rescape, after that add a few more shrimp and s snail and eventually get a fish or two of some sort.

My question is, how long should I wait to be sure any possible remaining velvet has died off? As I have three shrimp I am not doing a deep clean and am keeping the filter as is. (Just added a second tiny filter with carbon to clear any meds the 90% water change might have missed. The carbon didn't fit in my regular filter.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Hi! I'm so sorry to hear about your fish.
To be honest I don't know enough for my advice to be reliable, but from what I know the disease cannot survive without a host for a long period of time so steering clear of fish for a while is a good idea. I would quarantine my tank for 4 weeks and clean out all filtration systems and do a bunch of water changes and clean the substrate a few times. Luckily shrimp are tough and will survive that. And soak the plants in something else for a few days for good measure. I'm sure after replanting and setting everything up again you could get new fish again within a few weeks without worrying about them getting it. Again not expert advice. Good luck and I hope everything comes right ❤

That's about what I am thinking too. I was considering changing the substrate as well.

Velvet was nasty! Everywhere I read recommended meds and said this was so common and eady to treat. I tried three different meds and during most of it a complete blackout and nothing touched it. I never want to be dealing with that again.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back