Starting off

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Davy Reynolds

The First Ever Member
Reaction score
I've heard a wee rummor, that the smaller the tank the harder it is to start keeping marines.
I'm talking about a few feet in lenght tanks. Whats the minimum you would recomend starting with ;)

Davey, Some people are now into what they call nano reefs. They are like these little 5 and 10 gallon tanks. Things can go bad real quick that small. I think these are the folks that don't have the space or bucks for a full blown set up. And that is perfectly understandable. But you are allowed about one fish with that size tank. That would be the hard part for me.
I would recommend nothing smaller than a 75-90 gallon. Here are the reasons;

Lighting. 48"x18" tank gives you ample space to put all the lighting you need.
Sump. Anything smaller, you will have a harder time putting a good size sump under it.
You would get more intense lighting with the 75gal cause it's shorter, but water volume is extremely important if you want to have a variety of fish.
Oh, and get a tank that is predrilled for the overflows.
This would have saved me many headaches.
Avoid odd shaped tanks, because there will come a day when you will want to make a new hood or stand for it, and it is easier if it is a nice rectangular shape.

Cheers m8, At that size I'll need to wait till I get the fish hut up and running. I've a few sumpfilters kicking about ;)

I would say there is good and bad in a mini-reef. Anything under 55gallons is tough since you need to monitor it daily. h##l, in my 180 is a star fish dies while I am in bed my tank is large enough to disperse the rotting carcass and not create issues – in a smaller tank…..well, in a nut shell – your screwed. However, it’s a lot easier to strip down a 10 gallon mini reef and restart. My old boss ran a 20 gallon mini reef – many issues, but no biggie. He would just recycle and start again – he set it up with 2 damsels, you know – the $3 fishes. In my opinion, if you go reef then go all the way, and by that I mean go big – big as your wallet and home will let you.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back