Starting My Tank Up Again!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

scottca

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi All,

used to be a regular here quite a few years ago - I had a planted tank, Co2 etc etc - well, durnig that time the tank was getting left more and more and eventually I stopped as it wasnt fair to the poor fish!

well.. im glad to say that now im back into it, with the time and the space and want to start my tank up again.

However I have one big question.. I have recently installed a water softener into my house - I know its not actually "soft" water as sodium etc is added to reduce the hardness. So my question is really, if I use this softened water in my tank - what will happen?

I have read quite conflicting reports ranging from "dont do it!" to - "its ok dont worry about it!)

so really after your opinion on whether I can use the water or not, what will happen by using it, what affects will it have on my tank (thinking that im going to get a planted tank with co2 back). I was also considering changing to keep discus, but thats still undecided and ill largly pick the fish around what is best with the water that I have.

Thanks in advance

Craig

No, don't use water from those kinds of softeners in your tank. They don't actually reduce the hardness at all; they just make the water behave as if it's softer. Fish will not like that amount of sodium in the water. You should have a tap in the house that doesn't run through the softener, so use that for your water changes.

Have a look at your local water authority's website; you should be able to get an idea of harness, pH and nitrate levels on there.

Consider also, that Sodium is monovalent and both Calcium and Magnesium are divalent. This means that two Sodium ions are released for every Calcium or Magnesium ion absorbed. These types of "softeners" using ion exchange resins are not suitable for aquarium use.

Hmmm, oddly, this showed up as a recent thread, but appears to be ancient. Another upgrade oddity?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back