Starting My Own Reef Tank- The Tank Of My Dreams!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
lol. that's a temporary spot :good: I'm waiting to get my 75 gallon stand setup up to empty my 125 into it so I can sell my other big tank. Then we'll start building as stand for the 120 to get that one in it's final spot.

Yes, the corn burning stove would fry the tank :crazy: It puts out a Sh*t ton of heat. I love it though. Just like a little fireplace.
:)

Good to hear. I assumed you thought of this... but never wrong to mention incase it didnt come up :rolleyes: Theres alot of stuff to take into account and sometimes the most obvious things come back to bite you in the a-- later on...

Can't wait to see some water in that big boy :D

Ox :good:

I can't wait either..... right now it just feels like someday :sad:

but it will come in a little bit so there's light at the end of the tunnel :nod:

Well, Connorsbala was kinda right, I can't contain myself and am going to put together a 30 gallon for now. It's going to sit under the 75 gallon tank :) I'll keep it as that after I get my 120 gallon going too. Who knows...maybe it'll end up kinda being a frag tank *gazing off into space with a day dreamy look*

Even though it'll be a little while for this tank, I've been thinking about stocking options. I think I want to change it up.

In the 120 I'd like to have: (tank is 48"x24"x24)

Naso Tang-(Naso lituratus)-I know they get big (like 18" at most right?)-I know a few people with large tanks that may be interested when we get that far if I can't keep on in my tank long term.

Regal Tang (Paracanthurus hepatus)

Mandarin -(Synchiropus splendidus)would a mandarin be ok with the larger fish that also pick at the algae??

3 yellow tangs (Zebrasoma flavescens) -possible. Someone told me to get them in odd #'s. I don't want 5 so will 3 be ok? I know it's 3 species of tangs, but since they all appear different from eachother will it be ok? I'd rather scratch the yellows off the list if I need too. I also realize that yellows pick at algae...will they eat the copeopods that my mandarin will need also?

One Spot Foxface--(Siganus unimaculatus)

I plan to have some branching rocks and overhangs for hideouts for my fish too. I need to have bigger swim through areas since I'm going with bigger fish. I'm thinking about how to do it and what kind of rock to use.

Will these fish be ok? Or should I change it up? cross some off?

Thanks for everyone's help thus far :D You've really helped me get the ball rolling :good:

Tangs do much on the algae, and indirectly eat the copepods and stuff that live on it. At the same time, i have seen many tanks with tangs and mandarins co-exist perfectly fine. Id say get the tangs first, and keep an eye on your pod population.

IMO without experience, id say it will probably work.

ok thanks. I'm open to doing a pod pile in the back corner too. A small pile or lr rubble for the pods to flourish. I guess you put food down in the pile where the other fish can't get it and the pods eat it up and reproduce in their safe haven. Right???

Well lots of pods are filter feeders and detritus eaters, so feeding them will probably be simple dosing phytoplankton...

That's a lot of Tangs... I'd go with only one Yellow if it were my setup. And as for the mandarin, it should work in a tank that size. I'd still try and err on the side of finding one that eats frozen just in case :)

As for the rocks, you'll have to look into interesting construction methods. Like skewering them on pieces of PVC to form towers, and drilling them out and using small sections of carbon fiber rod to hold together wierd arrangements.

That's a lot of Tangs...

Does that mean you don't think it's ok?? What stocking would you do? I'm definitely open to ideas.

I'd go with only one Yellow if it were my setup. And as for the mandarin, it should work in a tank that size. I'd still try and err on the side of finding one that eats frozen just in case :)
okie dokie I'll have only 1 yellow. I've been eyeing the fish in the lfs from time to time to try and get a general feel of normal and unnormal activity (which is hard b/c it also varies greatly) and to this date I've only seen mandarins with sunken bellies, except maybe one :( doesn't look to promising on that front.

As for the rocks, you'll have to look into interesting construction methods. Like skewering them on pieces of PVC to form towers, and drilling them out and using small sections of carbon fiber rod to hold together wierd arrangements.
I've read of zip ties (BigC) and also cement formations that fit in the back of the tank...kinda like BigC's except it was special cement and the guy made tunnels that went through it and archways that jutted forward. That would take a long time. I wish I could find the link. It went into a HUGE tank. I'm thinking it was at least 200 gallons...maybe. It was really something to see those pictures.

Ya, for tall skimmy towers, pvc or acrylic rod are prob the best builders... but if the stack will have a good base, then marine epoxy would work just fine... it should be the green stuff (turns grey when mixed) you can get at most lfs's...

Thanks ox and chris. This gives me plenty to ponder about.

btw, I'm usually not one to buy a fish and then rehome it as it reaches it's limit in my tank. I pretty much believe in don't buy unless you can care for it it's entire life so I think I'll skip the Naso tang. I can dream about a bigger tank later...don't tell my husband that one :shifty:

btw, I'm usually not one to buy a fish and then rehome it as it reaches it's limit in my tank. I pretty much believe in don't buy unless you can care for it it's entire life so I think I'll skip the Naso tang. I can dream about a bigger tank later...don't tell my husband that one :shifty:

:good:

I just bought a $35 refractometer on ebay!!! :D Includes shipping price too!!! :yahoo: It makes me nervous buying stuff from ebay even though I've bought and sold quite a bit already. :shifty: I'm "sitting on the edge of my seat", so to speak, until my product arrives. The business is a power seller 17,023 with a 99.7 positive rating. I think I'm fairly safe. He sells all over the world too. I was reading his feedback and there's purchases with the us dollar, British pound and Euro purchases too. It was neat to see that. I'm going to buy an R/O thing too since ski guided me to an ebay one that's good. I know of what to look for :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back