Starting my first tank, no idea which fish to get!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

newfishmom1

Reaction score
So I have been looking around on the interwebs for the past three hours to no avail. I'm trying to figure out which kinds of fish (nano fish specifically) I can get for a 20 gallon tank.
I've been seeing these groups of fish a lot:
Guppies
Tetras
Gobies
Cories

My questions:
-Which of those species can go together
-How many of each kind for a good mix in the tank

I know not to get bettas since they will fight, but I have no idea which of these species would fight with each other! I know I could just get some tetras to start but then I might not be able to add other species later on. I'm okay with the tank upkeep and setup and all of that, but I cannot find anything helpful on which fish I can mix together.

I'm thinking of starting with tetras, so which kinds should I get and how many
If I do get tetras, what other species of fish could I add later?

Also I know that I need to get snails and things first as tank cleaners and run the tank for a bit, what kind of snails should I look for and about how many for a 20 gallon tank?

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

Do you know what the general hardness (GH) and pH of your water is?

------------------------
Guppies and gobies can usually go together because they both require hard alkaline water, (GH above 200ppm and pH above 7.0).

Tetras and Corydoras go well together because they both require soft neutral to slightly acid water (GH below 200ppm and pH below 7.0).

I haven't decided on which tank to purchase yet as I'm seeing mixed ratings about filters and heaters that come in the packs. This is what I'm thinking of getting from a local pet store, is this a good deal for quality or should I purchase things separately?

Top Fin® Essentials Aquarium Starter Kit

$79.99 (used to be $94.99)
Includes:
  • 20 Gallon Glass tank with hood
  • Bright White LED
  • Thermometer
  • 4 in Nylon Net
  • Water test Vial
  • 100 Watt Heater
  • Top Fin Silent stream 20 Power Filter with cartridge instruction Manual
    Intended For: Fish
    Material: Glass
    Color: Clear Glass, Black Frame
    Size: 20 Gallons: 24 in L x 12 in W x 16 in H

It seems the tank dimensions will be somewhere around 24 in L x 12 in W x 16 in H for whichever one I decide to buy.

We have had goldfish before in an outside fountain and I know from that "our water is perfect for fish" from an employee at the pet store but I don't know an actual number. I definitely need to test the pH of our water though.

Pinning down the water parameters is essential. While some fish have very specific needs, others are more adaptable, but this adaptability is limited to varying degrees. GH (general or total hardness) is the most important parameter, followed by pH. The KH (carbonate hardness or Alkalinity) is worth knowing, as this can "buffer" the pH. The pH is usually reelated to the GH/KH.

Temperature is the fourth parameter but we can always adjust the heater to suit the fish, and not all species are good at the same temperature.

Check the website of your municipal water authority; it may have the GH, KH and pH. No need to buy a test kit for GH and KH as once you know what these are they will not fluctuate very much unless specifically targeted. A pH test kit is useful, as this should be tested periodically and at the first sign of any possible issues with the fish.

I will definitely order a test kit. What do I need to buy now in terms of equipment? We have cats so I definitely need a lid on the tank that fits with the filter so that's why I was thinking of buying the kit.

Once I set up the tank, can I order snails as I start building up the tank's good bacteria or do I need to wait until the water is safe to put the snails in?

So I have been looking around on the interwebs for the past three hours to no avail. I'm trying to figure out which kinds of fish (nano fish specifically) I can get for a 20 gallon tank.
I've been seeing these groups of fish a lot:
Guppies
Tetras
Gobies
Cories

My questions:
-Which of those species can go together
-How many of each kind for a good mix in the tank

I know not to get bettas since they will fight, but I have no idea which of these species would fight with each other! I know I could just get some tetras to start but then I might not be able to add other species later on. I'm okay with the tank upkeep and setup and all of that, but I cannot find anything helpful on which fish I can mix together.

All of those fish can go together but the gobies do like more softer water between 6-6.5 where as the others like a pH between 7-7.5 they can live in pH levels as high as 8 but gobies can not gobies usually prefer cooler water then the others to so that is also something you need think about as for how many guppies are a schooling fish so 6 is ideal but they can live on their own quite happy same with tetras but they are more shy when there is less of them its the same with cories but they can live quite happily in groups less then six hope this helps

Test kit: With new tanks, it is important to be able to test 4 things: ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. API make a liquid test kit with these four, called the Master Combo. Well worth having. Down the road, testing ammonia and nitrite will only be when something seems wrong, but initially they are important. And nitrate and pH is worth testing periodically. The liquid tests are considered more reliable by most of us than test strips which can be affected by moisture in the air.

Tank cover: this is a good idea no matter the kitty cats. It slows evaporation (which can affect your house as well as lower the tank level) and prevents dust and whatever from getting in the water to harm fish. Light is important if live plants are intended, though we want to see the fish in daylight too. "Bright white LED" will probably be fine, you can have some floating plants; fish do not really like overhead light especially if bright, but floating plants will keep the water more stable and provide sufficient shade. A cover including light that fits the tank is always easier than trying to do your own, especially on smaller tanks like a 20g.

Read the articles in the cycling section. If you have live floating plants, and they are showing signs of growing, the snails will be fine, and you can even add a few fish without having to fuss with ammonia and "artificial cycling." Read the articles to get a background, we can go from there.

Remember to check with your municipal water people on the GH, Alkalinity and pH so you/we know what we are faced with in terms of water.

Hi

I have a few suggestions.

I can get for a 20 gallon tank.

I know not to get bettas since they will fight
Lets talk about that, You ever consider a Betta sorority?

This is my 15 gallon tank.

I'm trying to figure out which kinds of fish (nano fish specifically)

Depending on your water parameters.

Dwarf Rasboras or Chilli Rasboras, In a 20 gallon planted you could easily have 25 of either.

Unless you are prepared to have at least 4 or 5 different live food sources and the same in frozen food year round stay away from Bumblebee Gobys or ANY fish that simply refuses pellets or flake, If the fish place tells you they will eat pellets of flake do not believe them, ask them to prove it by feeding the fish, watch the fish closely as most will take a pellet but spit it back out.

Look into Endlers.

Can you get a bigger tank, eg: longer, like 30inches or 3foot? or is space a factor?
A bigger tank will give you more choice for fish and more room for them.

------------------------
4 inch nets are useless except for scooping out dead fish or uneaten food. If you want nets to catch fish get a 5-6inch net and a 8-12inch net. You put the big net in the tank and use the small net to guide the fish into the bigger net. Then lift the big net out with the fish.

------------------------
If you get any sort of hang on the back (HOB) filter like the TopFin, buy a sponge for an internal power filter. These are cylindrical and have a hole through the middle and they normally fit on the intake strainer of the filter. TopFin HOB filters don't have a lot of filter media and putting a sponge on the intake strainer will give you more filtration. The sponges will last for years so you only need to buy one when you get the filter. Just make sure it fits over the intake screen.

You can also get rectangular sponges and put them inside the TopFin instead of using the cartridges that come with the filter. The cartridge usually has carbon in and the company wants you to replace that every month. If you replace it with sponges you won't need to replace them and will save money.

------------------------
Make sure the thermometer is a floating glass thermometer and check the temperature on it before you buy it. If you have a look at the thermometers on the shelf in the shop, they should all give the same reading for temperature. However, sometimes they are dodgy and give an incorrect reading. By comparing a number of them you will see that most of them have the same temperature and you want one that has the same temp to most of the others.

------------------------
Make sure the heater is completely submersible and adjustable. Some heaters need to the top kept out of water and these should be avoided.

Some heaters are not adjustable and you want to get one that can be adjusted to give you different temperatures if you need it.

------------------------
You will need a dechlorinator to remove chlorine or chloramine from your tap water. Depending on which country you live in you could have either chlorine or chloramine. Chloramine is a mixture of chlorine and ammonia and the ammonia helps the chlorine remain active for longer. Most dechlorinators will break down chlorine or chloramine, however, when chloramine is broken down the chlorine is removed from the water but ammonia is left behind. This is only a small amount of ammonia and an established filter will quickly use it up. Some dechlorinators will bind to the free ammonia and trap it in a safe form for about 24 hours so the filters can remove it without the fish being affected, whereas other dechlorinators don't.

If you contact your water supply company (by telephone or website), they can tell you whether they add chlorine or chloramine to the drinking water.

As a general rule you do not need a dechlorinator with lots of added ingredients that do this and that. A basic dechlorinator will normally do the job and if you have chloramine, get one that binds to ammonia as well as breaks down chlorine.

------------------------
You will need gravel or sand for the bottom of the tank. Use sand if you want bottom dwelling fishes or find a smooth gravel without sharp edges.

------------------------
You can add plants straight away if you like but I normally suggest getting plants after the tank has been set up. that way the plants aren't sitting in bags for a day before being put in the tank.

Live plants can be bought as cuttings or grown in pots. The pots are more expensive but the plants are usually better and have a decent root system. You can leave the plants in the pots or take them out of the pots, remove any gravel on them, and plant them into the substrate in the aquarium.

If you get live plants then you should have the tank light on for about 12 hours per day. Monitor the plants and algae and if you get lots of algae, reduce the lighting period by a couple of hours or add more plants.

------------------------
Don't bother getting fish food until you get the fish.

4 inch nets are useless except for scooping out dead fish or uneaten food. If you want nets to catch fish get a 5-6inch net and a 8-12inch net.

It all depends on how heavily your planted your tank is.

Thank you all for the information, this has been infinitely more helpful than the information I managed to find on my own. I have ordered some things and will test my water and hopefully get a tank and plants set up soon! I will update y'all on here before I buy fish though, once I figure out the pH and all of the other things.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back