Starting my Cycle

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

matthew xia

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have just added 24 drops of Dr. Tims Ammonia solution to my daughter's 7 gallon tank (30 litres). I added 24 as I assumed some volume was taken up by ornaments, the filter and heater - so I dosed it as a 6 gallon tank. (also aqua safe and safe start)

I'll be testing the ammonia levels (and other readings) in half an hour and will report back. I also added Safe Start

The aim is to get a single male Betta fish and a few snails - any advice on snails more than welcome . (We have already laid to rest - literally - our plans for two Oranda's in such a small tank - we were ill advised at the shop).

Really hoping this goes well, I found this forum very helpful when making my first mistake - hoping not to repeat it.

Some useful questions:

What temp should I set the water at for the cycle? The warmer the better?
The tank has a light which can be dimmed - should I use the light whilst cycling?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Definitely test your Ammonia before getting fish or snails. You also need to test your other water parameters. (Nitrate, Nitrite, ph, GH, etc) Do you have a Test Kit? If not, I strongly suggest getting one.

A single betta would do good in a 7g tank, along with some Nerite snails. :)

Thanks PhoenixKingz - I have testing strips for ammonia and then others for the additional chemicals / bacterias etc. I'll look into Nerite Snails.

Thanks PhoenixKingz - I have testing strips for ammonia and then others for the additional chemicals / bacterias etc. I'll look into Nerite Snails.
I strongly suggest getting a liquid test kit. (The API Master Test Kit is the best IMO)

Nerite snails are good because they don’t have long antenna. (Bettas sometimes mistake them for food.) They also don’t reproduce in freshwater, so your tank won’t be over run. Zebra Nerite snails are my personal favorite. :)

Thanks - I have the strips at the moment but will order in a liquid testing kit. (I have read about issues with the API testing kit not showing correct readings of the Dr. Tims ammonia however). The Nerve Snails look great too.

Here are my current readings:

Ammonia - 3mg/l (possibly a little more)
Kh - 3
Nitrates - between 25 - 50
Nitrite - less thank 0.5
Ph - 7.6
Gh - nearly 28

I'll test tomorrow at 4.30pm and see what we have.

Sounds good on getting the Master Test Kit. Your ph is good. Your Nitrite should be at 0ppm, always. Your Nitrate should be below 10ppm at all times.

If you are using Tetra SafeStart Plus, no need to add any more ammonia. Just follow the directions, everything you need is in the bottle including the good bacteria.

24 drops was a little too much. What is your ammonia testing at? Otherwise, you seem right on track;)

Thanks Deanasue - 24 drops was because it said 4 drops (of Dr. Tims) for every gallon. I figured a 7 gallon tank not full to the brim (about an inch at the top) with gravel and some ornamentation was closer to 6 gallons. The Ammonia level is now showing at somewhere between 1ppm and 3ppm (I'm still using strips) - so it's certainly dropped since I added it and it was over 3ppm.

Deanasue and Essjay - what is the next step? I believe from Phoenixking that I need to get my Nitrates down too.

Also - I've read that Betta's like plants but I don't want to get into a planted situation (as it's another thing to keep alive, along with the water and the fish and the snails!) is there a simple plant that I could / should add?

Last edited:
Simple easy to care for plants Anacharis, hornwort, moneywort and water sprite are ones you can let float or plant in the gravel/sand. They absorb what they need from the water and help with water quality. Ferns like Java Ferns you just attach to rocks or driftwood and also get what they need from the water.

Thanks RV, really useful tips... I'll look into them and pick some up. Do you have any opinion on the moss balls I keep seeing in Betta tanks?
I have some in each tank except my turtle tank. Shrimp like to crawl around on them and my fry like to hide under them, I have heard Betta like to lay on them but do not know for sure since I do not have a Betta.

Yes betta are one of the few fish that like to sleep "lying down" so mine likes to sleep resting on a moss ball or other smooth leaf :)

Yes betta are one of the few fish that like to sleep "lying down" so mine likes to sleep resting on a moss ball or other smooth leaf :)
But they are not as useful for maintaining water quality as some other plants

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back