Starting Fresh - 6G Nano Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Reaction score
Hi all, 
After my betta Zeus died a few weeks ago (You can read the journal HERE), I decided that I wanted to start fresh with the tank. 
I gave it a complete 100% water change (several actually, I tried my hardest to get as much gunk out from the sand), and then I gave my tank a rescape. Here were the results:

Before:

After the rescape:

(Excuse the cloudiness and my reflection!)

With the light:

I still wasn't happy with how the tank looked. 
More plants were what I needed!
I bought:
4 anubias nana (I actually only bought one, but the guy was very generous and sent me four!)
1 Cryptocoryne undalata
1 Cryptocoryne Wendtii (green)
And then AshelyNZ very generously sent me some ambulia and windelov java fern.

With plants:

That was taken Friday I think, and the plants have already grown! 
The Crypts have melted and look be bouncing back a bit, which is good! 

This is how the tank is looking at the moment, I took this picture like 10 minutes ago.

Ignore that anubias in the front, it isn't attached to anything yet so it's just floating around.

I still want to buy some water wisteria and maybe cardamine, as I want the fish tank too have an overgrown look to it.

In terms of fish, I'm going to get a dwarf puffer (that's the plan anyway), I'm hoping for a single male, but we'll see what's in the LFS when the puffers arrive.
I've got my name down at the LFS for a puffer, so hopefully I'll be getting a call from them soon about some dwarf puffers arriving, apparently my LFS hasn't had any puffers in for about 12 weeks so hopefully it won't be long before they get some more.

The next step for me is to set up a snail tank, I've got my eye out for a small, cheap tank, preferably about 3 gallons, I'll then need to buy a sponge filter and then I'll be set (hopefully). 

That's about all for now I think. If you have any questions, comments or advice then please don't hesitate to leave a comment!
smile.png

Looks lovely, Blondie! Can't comment on the stocking as I know nothing about puffers.
Loving the overgrown approach to planting tho.

Mamashack said:
Looks lovely, Blondie! Can't comment on the stocking as I know nothing about puffers.
Loving the overgrown approach to planting tho.
Thank you! Hopefully it won't look too messy, but we'll see I guess, the main thing is for the puffer to have lots to explore.

Almost all of the ambulia have lovely green tops, which means they're growing great already!
Both crypts have got at least one new leaf, which hopefully signifies the end of the melting period.

I went to the beach the other day and got a few small pieces of driftwood so after they're finished soaking I'll attach the windelovs and anubia onto them.

Still no call from the LFS, but good things come to those who wait I guess. It gives the plants a good chance to grow in anyway, and I'm sure the wait will be worth it in the end!

A few more updates....
I got my hands on some ammonia and the tank is still cycled. It processed 3ppm of ammonia in under 24 hours so cycling wise...it is all ready for a dwarf puffer.
My LFS still hasn't been able to get any dwarf puffers in, so the wait continues. But I'm sure it'll all be worth it in the end, I'm just holding out for the phone call!
I did manage to get my hands on some cardamine though, which I'm happy about. Was only $3 too so a bargain compared to most plant prices here!
My cardamine:

When I first got the Cardamine I basically just dumped it in the tank without doing any real aquascaping with it, this was how it looked...

I then added some twisted sort of driftwood from my other tank, again I just dumped it in the tank, this is how that looked...

I actually did a bit of aqua scaping after that..... I'm not happy with how it looks so it'll definitely be changed soon.

The ambulia has been growing great! I've had to trim one of the ambulia because it reached the surface.

I'm moving my two tanks to the new house tomorrow (Any tips?!) and so the aqua scaped for this tank will obviously change as I'm going to remove the plants and driftwood from the tank. I'm thinking of planting around the edge of the tank, creating a bit of an open swimming area in the middle, and in the middle will be the twisty sort of driftwood. Hopefully it'll look good ... we'll see. 

Now all I need for the tank is the dwarf puffer and some wisteria. I'm still waiting on setting up the snail tank, all I need now is the tank, as I bought a cheap air powered filter.

Hopefully the wait for a dwarf puffer and stuff isn't too long! I'm getting a bit impatient haha

I hope you can find a scape that you like! I think no matter what the puff is going to enjoy it with all the plants and driftwood to swim around in. Glad the tank is still cycled.

How far away is the new house? I think generally people put the fish in the bucket with some of the tank water, and then put substrate and decor in another bucket and finish draining the tank and move it.
Then put it all together then once you get home. If it's a long trip then an airstone that you can hook up in the car or something would help too.

Most reactions

Back