starting an endler livebearer tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

a ppm of what?
Hardness.

There are several units that can be used to measure hardness (like pounds and kilograms for weight), and some of them have more than one name just to make life complicated.
I think US water providers usually use one of these two:
ppm, also called mg/l calcium carbonate
grains per gallon.

If you look on your water provider's website for hardness, they should give a number. Tell us what that number is, and also exactly what the unit of measurement is. Fish profiles will use one of two units. When the water provider uses a different unit we can convert that number into the two used in fish keeping.
I know a number of American members get their water from a well. If the water's been checked to make sure it's safe to drink, there should be an analysis document which should contain the hardness of the water.

Have you checked your water is suitable for the guppys? They like a ppm of over 250ppm to be happy. Just chekc on your water company website if you aren't sure on what it is.
a ppm of what?
I think this is getting more complicated than necessary. I've kept my Endler's in water that has quite a range of hardness (from tanks primarily filled with RO - very soft water, to water that is so hard limestone wants to precipitate out of it). They were fine in all of it. They ate, were lively, had great color, and made babies at what seemed to be the same rate. Endler's are tough fish.

Here is the deal, if you live on the West Coast of the US, it might not hurt to toss in a wonder shell or something like that. Otherwise, just use a dechlorinator to get any chlorine out of the water (unless you are on a well, then fill that tank up and let it get warn enough) and you should be fine.

Yes, cycling the tank is important, and I am sorry to hear about your shrimp. But the details of water chemistry are not going to make an appreciable difference to someone getting started with a strong line of Endler's. Enjoy them.

Endlers are really hardy and will do fine in soft till hard water. That shouldn't be a problem at all.

I think this is getting more complicated than necessary. I've kept my Endler's in water that has quite a range of hardness (from tanks primarily filled with RO - very soft water, to water that is so hard limestone wants to precipitate out of it). They were fine in all of it. They ate, were lively, had great color, and made babies at what seemed to be the same rate. Endler's are tough fish.

Here is the deal, if you live on the West Coast of the US, it might not hurt to toss in a wonder shell or something like that. Otherwise, just use a dechlorinator to get any chlorine out of the water (unless you are on a well, then fill that tank up and let it get warn enough) and you should be fine.

Yes, cycling the tank is important, and I am sorry to hear about your shrimp. But the details of water chemistry are not going to make an appreciable difference to someone getting started with a strong line of Endler's. Enjoy them.
i have hard water. i live in vegas. i do use dechlorinator and i have accepted the fact a fish in cycle is my only option at this point and it's okay, it was my first time with shrimp and i didn't do enough research. that was my fault. maybe later on i'll add shrimp. it is good to know endlers are hardy cause that i didn't know

i should also mention that originally my fish were supposed to take two weeks as i stated in an earlier reply but then the company told me 2 days so i asked them to hold off for a week so i could at least try to start a cycle (and unrealistically try to finish it lol). so they'll be here monday

I'm going to weigh in again, if that's okay.

Ooh, Southwest hard water. I lived in Arizona for years in a city on ground water and I remember using pumice stones to scrape off the limestone that formed on faucets and even in toilets. They sold them on handles in hardware stores - you know, like chipping rocks out of your bathroom is just a normal thing.

I can't recall. How many Endler's and how big is the tank? I've found until they build up sizable numbers they don't have much bioload. They are so tiny. If you have a good filter, and some plants in the tank (which will soak up waste), plus check and change the water, I suspect you should be fine. Get a test kit. Test regularly. Feel secure.

Endler's are lively, colorful, and full of personality. You'll love them! And when the tank has settled in - get those shrimp.

I'm going to weigh in again, if that's okay.

Ooh, Southwest hard water. I lived in Arizona for years in a city on ground water and I remember using pumice stones to scrape off the limestone that formed on faucets and even in toilets. They sold them on handles in hardware stores - you know, like chipping rocks out of your bathroom is just a normal thing.

I can't recall. How many Endler's and how big is the tank? I've found until they build up sizable numbers they don't have much bioload. They are so tiny. If you have a good filter, and some plants in the tank (which will soak up waste), plus check and change the water, I suspect you should be fine. Get a test kit. Test regularly. Feel secure.

Endler's are lively, colorful, and full of personality. You'll love them! And when the tank has settled in - get those shrimp.
this may be pushing it but i got six endlers and a pagoda snail BUT i have a 5 gallon with a 10 gallon filter and a ton of biomedia.

Maybe. Just test and see. If the ammonia goes up to where you are uncomfortable, do a big water change. Test and see. All the bells and whistles. All the advice. That's all you can do - test and see. You clearly care about the wellbeing of your critters. You've picked a good species to start with. I'm sure you will do well!

i let my tank do its thing. left it alone for a few days to let it cycle. i went from having fairly high levels of everything to everything being 0. my fish are arriving tomorrow ??

i let my tank do its thing. left it alone for a few days to let it cycle. i went from having fairly high levels of everything to everything being 0. my fish are arriving tomorrow ??
Yay new fish! I hope they have really nice colours.

I don't think zero nitrates will be detrimental to your fish. Hard to grow plants that way though. I have found that out first hand (turns out a sump the size of the main aquarium is not only unnecessary on a heavily planted tank, but might well be detrimental to growing those plants - who knew?! :p).

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back