Starting A Water Garden For 2010

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

crabbylion

Reaction score
I've put together a simple water garden with a couple of water plants in it. I plan to add some Guppies in there as the garden progresses. I've heard that fish in an outdoor setup tend to have brighter colors and are generally healthier. Besides, i'm going to have to control the wicked mosquito population here in Florida. I'll keep you guys posted with photos. Right now its raining and nasty out but its filling up the garden. Stay tuned....

Here is a pic of the garden. There are five male Guppies in there right now chowing down on larvae and a couple of live plants that just sprouted.

Very Nice! I would look into some female guppies as well. Then you'll have more guppies to eat the mosquito larvae. If you don't feed the fish normally, then the fish will only produce until the garden has hit a certain saturation point based on how much food they are getting.

Very Nice! I would look into some female guppies as well. Then you'll have more guppies to eat the mosquito larvae. If you don't feed the fish normally, then the fish will only produce until the garden has hit a certain saturation point based on how much food they are getting.

Absolutely! I am on a female Guppy shortage right now. But more will be bred in our 29 gal inside. It'll be interesting to see if there will be a difference in their growth outdoors. Now every day i'll go out and net the larvae out. Just to keep up on it. There are just to many for five male Guppies.

A local around here once told me he throws his guppies in a pond during the summer. Apparently they get HUGE. Like females over 3 inches big, and the males about 2 and a half! That's just over 1 summer. They just keep eating mosquito larvae, and keep growing. Fish don't hit a certain size and stop growing, so you never know how large they will get!

A local around here once told me he throws his guppies in a pond during the summer. Apparently they get HUGE. Like females over 3 inches big, and the males about 2 and a half! That's just over 1 summer. They just keep eating mosquito larvae, and keep growing. Fish don't hit a certain size and stop growing, so you never know how large they will get!

REally? That's pretty interesting. I have an alpha male Guppy with a shimmering bright yellow tail, trimmed with black. If I can get 2 inchers like him i'd be amazed!!!!!! :hyper:

Those guys are doing great so far! Its been a week outdoors and life seems to be good. *knocking on wood*

It is indeed interesting. Fish are not like mammals. Our genetic predisposition will only allow us to hit a certain height. But, fish (most, if not all) do not have the marker in their genes. They just keep growing. The way they control their growing is by releasing a "growth chemical" so to speak. Once the chemical hits a certain concentration in the tank, their body knows to stop growing. So, the bigger the tank, and the more frequent water changes, the bigger the fish will grow. The reason guppies don't hit 5 inches is because they don't live long enough to do so.

It is indeed interesting. Fish are not like mammals. Our genetic predisposition will only allow us to hit a certain height. But, fish (most, if not all) do not have the marker in their genes. They just keep growing. The way they control their growing is by releasing a "growth chemical" so to speak. Once the chemical hits a certain concentration in the tank, their body knows to stop growing. So, the bigger the tank, and the more frequent water changes, the bigger the fish will grow. The reason guppies don't hit 5 inches is because they don't live long enough to do so.

Do you know of any other fish that do well in a water garden?

Hmm. I would assume any livebearer would do fine. Any cichlid also, as long as there is enough room and enough food.

OMG could you imagine a 5ft pleco!!
or a 3ft oscar
you got me exited over nothing!!

btw nice pond, are you gonna feed them or just let nature take its course and see what happens?

Fish is the most common pets, people like to keep one. No matter how small the house, when you fish tank in it, it will be comfortable.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back