Starting a shrimp tank at a higher temperature?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I keep my tank at 22-23C /71-72F. This allows leeway for the natural heat through the different seasons. In a week and a half of having my new little guys in I have about 5 berried girls and about another 4 waiting to berry. I have read and heard that keeping the heat in the tank at a higher rate can reduce the lifespan so tbh I wouldn’t recommend it. But in saying this you can have your temp up to ridiculous F but if your conditions ain’t right in that tank you will have very little success as well. A shrimp tank is very delicate (trust me I know after I poisoned my tank) so everything needs to be on point or you will have a lot of issues

How long does it take to reach 60 shrimps?
I am planning to get some shrimps soon.
It took me a little over 3 months.

I now sell mine from time to time at my LFS.

If you are in a hurry to get a lot, just get a lot to begin with. When I got my shrimp, I wasn't in a hurry.

It took me a little over 3 months.

I now sell mine from time to time at my LFS.

If you are in a hurry to get a lot, just get a lot to begin with. When I got my shrimp, I wasn't in a hurry.

Thanks. Nice to see them breeding.
But I have to go slow because my tank temperature is warm. I am afraid the shrimps cannot survive.

In my country with the warm temperature, my tank temperature will stay around 27 to 30degC (without heater) throughout the whole year.

For last resort, I may have to use a chiller or I may not be able to keep shrimps.

Thanks. Nice to see them breeding.
But I have to go slow because my tank temperature is warm. I am afraid the shrimps cannot survive.

In my country with the warm temperature, my tank temperature will stay around 27 to 30degC (without heater) throughout the whole year.

For last resort, I may have to use a chiller or I may not be able to keep shrimps.

geezz where are you.. Porto Rico or something? That’s crazy

Another good one is to look for the girls with eggs in the ovaries and pick them out if it’s at LFS

Another good one is to look for the girls with eggs in the ovaries and pick them out if it’s at LFS
That is a good thought. But that much stress may make the females prematurely drop their eggs, which is counter productive.

That is a good thought. But that much stress may make the females prematurely drop their eggs, which is counter productive.
This does happen sometimes, but if you get them while she has the eggs but before they are outside the body that wont happen. Which is what aussie bristle said to do

but if you do you won’t need to put your temp up to ridiculous temps to bring on breeding if you already have girls with eggs is what I’m getting at. only think is knowing how much stress shrimp are kept under in LFS conditions. For starters I wouldn’t buy from a LFS tbh.. the prices are just ridiculous and the shrimp are not in the best condition. I brought 2 from a shop the other week and both died within a day,had one half dying before I even got her in the tank she came alright when I got her in and then died late that night. The other one the next morning.

I have bought berried females in the past and not had problems. But every shrimp is different.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back