Starting a New Cherry Shrimp Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ricksza

Reaction score
I am starting my first Cherry shrimp tank. I picked up a new 10 gallon that I want to divide so I can have two different color shrimp. Screen or solid divider? In any case, I'm thinking one corner sponge filter for each side, java moss on each side with pool filter sand substrate. What size air pump do I need? I picked up a used tank stand and it came with an unused Tetra 10 pump. One or two heaters? I was planning to start the filters in my fish tank to jump start the cycling. How long should I leave them in there? I have some algae covered drift wood in the fish tank that will go into the shrimp tank when it's ready.

Now that I gave you my ideas, what mistakes am I making? Thanks

Why don't you just have both species of shrimp together?

As long as one species isn't huge and aggressive you can keep multiple species of shrimp in the same tank. Then you only need 1 heater, pump and filter and let them all live happily together.

As long as one species isn't huge and aggressive you can keep multiple species of shrimp in the same tank. Then you only need 1 heater, pump and filter and let them all live happily together.
I wanted two different color neocaridina and didn't want inter-breeding.

Fair enough, in which case get 2 separate tanks, one for each variety.

Fair enough, in which case get 2 separate tanks, one for each variety.
That's why I wanted to divide the tank. I just needed someplace where they would grow large enough before they went into my 54 gal. community tank. Breeding is not my first priority.

I agree on keeping them separate or you will end up with dull colored shrimp. I have a divided betta tank. One heater works just fine for both sides. Mine is also a 10G. I do have separate filters in each side but with shrimp, you can probably get by with one filter. They have such a small bio-load and scavenge off the bottom. Realize though, that if you put them in a community tank later you are defeating your purpose of keeping them separate. They will breed in there and dilute your colors. They usually end up an ugly brownish color when mixed.

I agree on keeping them separate or you will end up with dull colored shrimp. I have a divided betta tank. One heater works just fine for both sides. Mine is also a 10G. I do have separate filters in each side but with shrimp, you can probably get by with one filter. They have such a small bio-load and scavenge off the bottom. Realize though, that if you put them in a community tank later you are defeating your purpose of keeping them separate. They will breed in there and dilute your colors. They usually end up an ugly brownish color when mixed.
My thinking is that if they do cross breed in there, the shrimpettes will be small enough to end up as live food while the adult shrimp would be safe. If they do survive, undesirable colors could always be culled.

Because mixing colors turns the shrimp dull and they revert to their natural wild color. But you should know this.

You need a mature stable tank for shrimp, by mature I mean it needs to be fully cycled and running for at least 2 months after the cycle is done.

Because mixing colors turns the shrimp dull and they revert to their natural wild color. But you should know this.

You need a mature stable tank for shrimp, by mature I mean it needs to be fully cycled and running for at least 2 months after the cycle is done.
That's why I'm asking the questions now so in 3 or 4 months I can add shrimp. I want to give them a fighting chance.

Yes about 3 months, it gives the tank a chance to grow all the biofilm they eat.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back