Starting 5 gallon betta fish planted tank, I have questions!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
You do not need CO2 injection is you use easy growing plants ;)

Thanks for the advice! I want to do a planted tank, I canā€™t do co2 injections, so limited hardy plants but Iā€™m looking at floating plants and a beautiful ground cover. As for the fish, Iā€™m trying hard not to rush and buy a fish too early, as I did this before, and it was not good for the fish, he lived only 2 weeks, as I didnā€™t cycle the tank before putting him in. However Iā€™m planning on naming the betta Jeremy, as itā€™s just a funny name to me! Also, since Iā€™m planning to do a planted tank, Iā€™m getting quite mixed response, if I should cycle the tank, or if the plants are growing well, then forgo the cycling. Whatā€™s your option on this?
Hmmm....
I personally didn't cycle my 7g since I use a 3g filter. I have experienced 0 problems (I have around 7 planted plants and a large amount of floating plants). I don't see a problem with it because it is such a small tank...

There's a guy on YT who creates beautiful planted tanks with fish right then and there.
He said in one of his videos that he can add a few fish right away (which will create the ammonia) and cycle the tank and it won't harm the fish if you do daily water changes. And I'm assuming test the water every day.

But I understand from reading the forum's cycling article this is not the preferred way.

Still, to me, it seems the most natural way.

And being a newcomer to the way things are done today I have no input one way or the other.
I'm just throwing it out there :)

Broadly speaking there are three ways to cycle a tank (though one of them isn't really cycling)

#1 Fishless cycling. This method uses ammonia to grow all the bacteria needed to support a tankful of fish before any fish are added to the tank. The advantage is that no fish are subjected to even the tiniest level of ammonia or nitrite, and almost all the fish can be added at once as soon as the cycle finishes.; the disadvantage is that it takes several weeks.

#2 Fish-in cycling. Here the fish are used to make ammonia to grow the bacteria. Testing needs to be done daily and water changes done whenever there is a reading for ammonia or nitrite above zero. Advantages - you get fish right away. Disadvantage - the fish are exposed to ammonia and nitrite between water changes which will harm them; fish have to be added in small numbers to allow the bacteria to catch up quickly. And daily water changes are hard work.

# Plant/silent cycle. This is the one that's not really cycling as few bacteria grow as plants are used to remove ammonia instead of bacteria. Advantages - fish are not exposed to ammonia or nitrite, fish can be added quite soon though not immediately. Disadvantages - fish cannot be added immediately as the plants need to show signs of actively growing first; fish must be added a few at a time unless the tank is heavily planted with fast growing plants.

I don't know if I have seen the video you mention, but doesn't matter. It sounds as if the individual is doing the "silent cycle" as some refer to the process, and it is without question the easiest and safest way to start a new tank. You need live plants, some should be fast growing species (as so often mentioned, substantial floating plant species are the best for this). If the plants are obviously growing (and not declining), and depending upon which species and how many, you can add all the fish and everything is hunky dory. However, with someone who is new to this, I would recommend caution in adding fish. Just to be safe--it is one thing for me to have been doing this for years and years, because if something should go awry, I can readily see it starting and know how to deal with it. But when I changed over my substrates to sand some 8 or 9 years ago, I did each tank the same...the fish went into a running temporary (smaller) tank with the plants and some of the decor for shelter, the rinsed play sand went in, plants were planted and hardscape set out, tank was filled with tap water and dechlorinated, and all the fish were back either that day (with smaller tanks that didn't take so much time to set up) or the following morning (my 70g, 90g and 115g tanks took most of the day to aquascape, as I wanted to ensure it was "OK" before returning the fish).

I may do a water change after a day, or two, or three, but only if the tank is more hazy due to dirt from the sand (I do not rinse it endlessly, waste of time and water). And in my case, I know the plants are growing because they all come from the original tank or other tanks. But that is the crux of this method...fast-growing plants that are obviously growing. It is simply impossible to add too many fish if this is happening.

EDIT. Essjay's post appeared as I was typing.

Yes, it is after his plants are established that he adds just a few fish. Maybe sort of a hybrid Silent/Fish-In.
MD Fish Tanks is his channel. The guy builds tanks like I used to collect 1911's lol.

Thanks for all the replies! So I think I will be the ā€œsilent cycleā€! Iā€™m also planning to add a shrimp of some sort. I am ordering my tank today, it will be here on the tenth, and Iā€™m also buying plants online, as the genric pet shops near me always have snails in their plants. Iā€™ll update yā€™all as soon as my stuff arrives and I set it up! I might have some more questions later but for now Iā€™m all good thank you!

Thanks for all the replies! So I think I will be the ā€œsilent cycleā€! Iā€™m also planning to add a shrimp of some sort. I am ordering my tank today, it will be here on the tenth, and Iā€™m also buying plants online, as the genric pet shops near me always have snails in their plants. Iā€™ll update yā€™all as soon as my stuff arrives and I set it up! I might have some more questions later but for now Iā€™m all good thank you!
You're welcome ;)
Think to cover your tank as Betta and shrimps are good jumpers !
Some example of what Betta loooves :

A betta 5.jpg

A betta 2.jpg

Alr thanks everybody! Iā€™ll keep ya updated! One more question, would beneficial bacteria be useful for this tank? If so what kind/brand do you recommend!

Alr thanks everybody! Iā€™ll keep ya updated! One more question, would beneficial bacteria be useful for this tank? If so what kind/brand do you recommend!
The only brand I know for its quality bacterias is Equo l'Evoluzione (Bacterya-NutroBact-BioExtra).

If you do the plant silent method, this is not necessary, but at the same time it cannot likely hurt. Tetra's SafeStart is the one I would suggest. I would not use Dr. Tim's One and Only here, because it requires the addition of ammonia and that can harm if not kill the plants. Other so-called bacterial supplements, again probably not harmful but certainly unnecessary. Save your money.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back