Started

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand the frustration of trying to help people that ask then dont seem to want to use the advice but the best thing every1 can do is let the person do what there gonna do and keep trying to give the correct advice for the sake of the fish and if the advice you give isnt what the person wants to hear try giving a different advice like for example the person didnt have microworms or bbs ready instead of saying i told you so and going into big facts on how they messed up help them how you can theres more than those methods that work like feeding Hikaris firt bites works good as a tempory fix if cultures go bad or your in a tight jam and also frozen bbs works as well as far as the moving food thing all you need to do is feed this stuff with a eye drop and swirl the end in the water as relasing from the dropper thus makeing the water movement move the food making it seem to be alive. Yes its not the best method but it does work. All we can do is give advice and any with all the different methods of doing things theres plenty of advice to give and theres got to one of the methods that that person can do. Im not scoulding any1 here just trying to stop a huge potential arguement and give people something to think about.

It's the whole principal of the thing. Maybe I'm the only person who feels this way but I don't feel people should breed bettas period unless they have good reason ("I wanna try it cause it might be fun" is not a good reason) And then getting into the fact that this person obviously does not know what they're doing. I'm sorry but if someone researched they would at least know what the fry eat. I know there are other alternatives to feeding betta fry but its the principal, this person didn't know at all, that shows that they did not research and are not properly prepared to breed these fish, it is a huge under taking and not something that should be done lightly. They don't even know that the male builds the bubblenest, they thought that the male and the female build it together, they found it funny when the male was chasing the female, and I'm pretty sure they thought horizontal stripes were breeding bars. Now honestly does this sound like someone who's ready to breed to you? This person has no idea what they're going to do with the fry if some actually live, they obviously do not have the room to keep them since they've said on countless occassions that they "Have no more room" and if they got a new betta it would "Have to live in the cup that they got it in" Not to mention that fact they plan on breeding a pet store vt to a pet store ct, 2 fish of unknown age and unknown origin are not going to produce rehomable fry especially when there are already so many of them out there looking for new homes. I'm just looking out for the welfare of the parents and most importantly the potential fry

It's the whole principal of the thing. Maybe I'm the only person who feels this way but I don't feel people should breed bettas period unless they have good reason ("I wanna try it cause it might be fun" is not a good reason) And then getting into the fact that this person obviously does not know what they're doing. I'm sorry but if someone researched they would at least know what the fry eat. I know there are other alternatives to feeding betta fry but its the principal, this person didn't know at all, that shows that they did not research and are not properly prepared to breed these fish, it is a huge under taking and not something that should be done lightly. They don't even know that the male builds the bubblenest, they thought that the male and the female build it together, they found it funny when the male was chasing the female, and I'm pretty sure they thought horizontal stripes were breeding bars. Now honestly does this sound like someone who's ready to breed to you? This person has no idea what they're going to do with the fry if some actually live, they obviously do not have the room to keep them since they've said on countless occassions that they "Have no more room" and if they got a new betta it would "Have to live in the cup that they got it in" Not to mention that fact they plan on breeding a pet store vt to a pet store ct, 2 fish of unknown age and unknown origin are not going to produce rehomable fry especially when there are already so many of them out there looking for new homes. I'm just looking out for the welfare of the parents and most importantly the potential fry

Yes I understand what your saying and yes I agree the person should not be breeding from the sounds of it and obviously didnt research as much as said. But I do believ we need to help people as much as possible. And yes trying to breed a Vt and a Ct that were bought from a local fish store is not a good Idea for number of reasons.....

1. Most Bettas sold in the LFS are usually to old to breed and the LFS has no real way of knowing how old these bettas really are ( Bettas should not be spawned after usually 1 year of age )

2. Also any bettas bought for breeding should be bought from a reputale source so you know there gene line or like you said there orgin.

All I can say to people that think they want to spawn bettas it is not a easy task and is hard work very time consuming. you can never research to much and you must make sure you have all the nessecary things to successfully spawn bettas this includes pre planing what you will do with the fry when they are old enough to sell or donate. I my self spawned CT bettas for a a couple years and I did it not to make profits but for a hobby with my son but before I started I talked to my LFS ( who I know for a fact takes great care of there fish and are very knowledgable) and they agreed to take all my fry that survived off my hands and so I continued and kept donating them. There so many things needed people dont realize the cost for the things needed like I said everything should be workd out prior to spawning everything down to where the fry will go 4 or 5 months down the road to do you have every med needed to treat any and all parasites and problems you can think of.

Help one another yes, but when a certain person comes on and posts a million irrelevant topics, refuses to take anyones advice even though they keep asking for it, decides to spawn bettas because its "fun" even though they don't have any idea what the fry eat. This person has gotten tons of helpful advice from lots of members on here and refuses to take any of it, they keep their bettas, and I quote, in tanks "about 4 times the size of the cups you buy them in" I know a lot of people on here are tired of it, and feel that this person needs to either take the advice their given, or get rid of the fish, because doing things there own way is NOT in the best interest of the fish, and they've shown on countless occasions that they're really not capable of taking care of these fish properly, especially not like 6 of them.
You obviously did not understand my post was not about FBT, but about the whole live food vs. Decapped shrimp. I think we all agree FBT should probably back up and re think and probably plan a tad better. But why do you keep bringing up FBT, when my responce wasn't about FBT it was more about peoples arrogance, if someone does something different , like say don't use live food, then some one is(potentially) killing 200 fry(read girl 4 God's post). I have been keeping fish since 1980, and i still accidently kill some fish by doing something stupid every now again. I have known many others that have too.

There is no need to keep bashing someone and harping on the subject, we know your point, you think FBT is wrong, but what you think and I think isnt going to change it one bit. You have said your peace, and thats great. I agree with you, FBT should probably not breed just yet until she has some sort of culture of micro worms going. I do think they are great for novice breeders. Some prefer vinegar eels, but I have also read speculation that they may not be as nutritious. Add to the fact they are harder to keep, to me my opinion is that vinegar eels aren't worth the effort.

If you think someone isnt capable then move along enough of people will start seeing they arent capable. But until then let FBT make her own mistakes. I know I made mine, and will continue to make them.

It's the whole principal of the thing. Maybe I'm the only person who feels this way but I don't feel people should breed bettas period unless they have good reason ("I wanna try it cause it might be fun" is not a good reason) And then getting into the fact that this person obviously does not know what they're doing.
It isn't your place to judge, someone who has bred bettas for 20 years may think the same about you or me. I havent bred a betta since 2005, and I plan to return to it in 2007. Since I only have 9 spawns under my belt, the first 3 were sorta disasters with the mistakes I made. Should I be allowed to continue to breed them?

I'm sorry but if someone researched they would at least know what the fry eat.
They definately know now
I know there are other alternatives to feeding betta fry but its the principal, this person didn't know at all, that shows that they did not research and are not properly prepared to breed these fish, it is a huge under taking and not something that should be done lightly.
I disagree, when I first started I knew nothing about other foods, and I read several articles from people on the web that stated live food (namely vinegar eels) were the thing to do. And they were very good at spawning from what I read. Luckily people on here were kind enough to give me pointers and point out to try decapped brine shrimp. As for feeding, I do agree it should be taken serious. nutrition is no joke.

They don't even know that the male builds the bubblenest, they thought that the male and the female build it together, they found it funny when the male was chasing the female, and I'm pretty sure they thought horizontal stripes were breeding bars. Now honestly does this sound like someone who's ready to breed to you?
No. but none of us are disputing that are we?

This person has no idea what they're going to do with the fry if some actually live, they obviously do not have the room to keep them since they've said on countless occassions that they "Have no more room" and if they got a new betta it would "Have to live in the cup that they got it in" Not to mention that fact they plan on breeding a pet store vt to a pet store ct, 2 fish of unknown age and unknown origin are not going to produce rehomable fry especially when there are already so many of them out there looking for new homes. I'm just looking out for the welfare of the parents and most importantly the potential fry
Do you really think with all that you stated that she will actually get a spawn to occur, let alone raise the fry to adult hood?

I will quit picking on you, I know you mean well. But the more you go on , I think FBT is baiting you to go further. On some forums they are called trolls, they just want to post the most ludicrous things to get people riled up. I know its wierd, but I see them from time to time on various forums, every forum has them.

Oh and Jaded, good luck with your fish, I think you would do well with a spawn. I don't doubt your knowledge.

I understand where you're coming from as well. FBTgirl is just getting on sooo many people's nerves and quite frankly we're all getting sick of it. I'm not one to lose my temper with people and I'll usually give advice till I'm blue in the face because I care about the fish. But in this case I'm just sick and tired of this girl *sigh*

Why can't people just let her be, and stop picking at her, mommyof2bettas, you have surely done an about-face as soon as the other people started attacking her again. You were actually nice to her and tried to help her, then joined in the band wagon as soon as they started again.

I'm sure right now the last thing FBT needs is people jumping down her throat, is it IMPOSSIBLE for you people to be nice?? If you don't agree with it, DON'T POST. It's just that simple. Leave her be. I'm sure you guys wouldn't want to come to a forum looking for advice on this or that and get torn apart!

What is your problems? So you don't agree, you have stated that in the last thread, why continue? It is pointless.

Can't you people be nice? You know how many people I have had to pm and try to draw them back to stay on this damn forum because of people like you who constantly think you know best and attack people? Grow up.

To the people that actually gave her the answers she was looking for, thank you. It has at least made me feel better about some of the people on this board.

People come to this forum because its about the fish, because they need advice or just to make some new friends, but either way its a forum about the fish run by and filled with people who love their fish, and when someone comes in that has a complete disregard for the health and welfare of the fish, yeah its going to make some people angry. People are only "attacking" her to try and get her to listen, and take proper care of her fish. Don't you agree that keeping bettas in tiny tanks (1/2 gallon make) isn't proper care? Do you feel that someone who doesn't even know what water stats are should be breeding these fish? The fact of the matter is this person does not take proper care of her bettas, plain and simple, and I and others are not going to get off her case until she starts taking better care of them.

Hi...although this is not my forum, I think the content has deteriorated enough to close this thread. Further down south on the 'dark side' of the TFF page (marine), it is not uncommon for an occasional poster to fail to heed advice and stock a poor choice fish or a invert that can poison a tank. We don't hammer them. As J. Timberlake says, "what goes around comes around."

I think what is best here is to simply state your opinion in a fair and balanced manner, then, should the original poster fail to heed recommendations from more experienced betta keepers, then, they will have to learn things by experience.

Thanks for your patience.

SH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back