Started my cycle today. Mixed results

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Darter217

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Just started my cycle today and I'm not sure I've gone about this the right way. Got my sand and water in the tank with the filter and heater set up now. Also added some interpet tap safe. My water is very murky but hopefully it'll clear in a few days. Does anyone have a good recommendation of some bacteria start to add? The interpet tap safe is supposed to add bacteria although I'm going out today to pick up a deviated bacteria starter.

Bacteria starters are not a way guaranteed to get you going.
They might, but then again.....
The Tetra one is meant to be the best of them.

Yes I've read that if you are going to go down that route then tetra safe start is your best bet, apart from that I don't think I need anything else.

Tetra Safe Start or Dr Tim’s One and Only Nitrifying Bacteria are the two main one that are known to work.

As mentioned, bottled bacteria are not 100% guaranteed depending on how bottle was stored, if exposed to direct sunlight and expiry date all have a possibility in affecting the bacteria inside the bottles.

Then you will still need to follow the cycling guide and do dosages of ammonia to ensure the beneficial bacteria are being fed to grow into an established colony to eventually deal with the ammonia production that your planned livestock do.

I’m at the end of my first cycle. I used the bacteria in a bottle and had zero results. Bought ammonium chloride for fishless cycling for £5 on eBay and it worked a treat. I’ve just tested and I’ve got no ammonia but my nitrates have spiked at last!!!

I’m at the end of my first cycle. I used the bacteria in a bottle and had zero results. Bought ammonium chloride for fishless cycling for £5 on eBay and it worked a treat. I’ve just tested and I’ve got no ammonia but my nitrates have spiked at last!!!

Can you send me the link for what you bought? I'll get some sent over to me if it works that well.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Just search for Dr Tim's ammonia

I looked this one up too but more expensive than the bottle on eBay. I’ve got a 46l or 10 gallon tank and I’ve got 75% of the bottle left.

Managed to find it for a decent price here

Have you got a testing kit too? Don’t waste money strips either as they aren’t that great.

Reactions: kwi
If you are adding a liquid bacteria to help speed up the cycling process, add a double dose every day for a week, then pour the rest of the bottle into the tank. Try to add the bacterial supplement near the filter intake so the bacteria gets sucked into the filter where it belongs.

You can't really overdose with the bacterial supplements and they usually help get things gong a bit quicker.

I used Sera Nitrivec but there are other brands too.

Reactions: kwi

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back