Starfish For A 29 Gallon Reef?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

The tiny brittle stars would be a fantastic choice. Avoid the bigger ones. I have a huge brittle star in my 24 gallon and I'm constantly terrified that it will starve to death and nuke my tank

This board is for helping others throug experianc if that experiance is not wanted don't ask and your not going to take the advice don't post the question!!

Actually I have taken his advice and no where in any of my posts have I said I have not taken his advice. I dont know why youd say that?

OK everyone lets keep on track here :sly:

Some people enter the world of marines knowing very little or carrying alot of freshwater baggage and this needs to be unlearned and start all over again. I know how hard it canbe for some people.. WHen i first started out i really wanted a tang but only had a 40 gallon system.. Now to me this was a huge tank and i really didnt understand why people were saying dont attemptit. I asked many times for themto clarify why they were recomending this to me as all the fish i had seen were in tiny tanks in LFS and the fish were not over big so whats the big fuss??? I did take their advice however and through time and experience i learn why their recomendations were so valuable. It never suprises me when a member questions the advice of the veterans, they are afterall new and want to know "why" rather than just accepting the knowledge as gospel :/

It never suprises me when a member questions the advice of the veterans, they are afterall new and want to know "why" rather than just accepting the knowledge as gospel :/

I agree. I see this as a positive thing though as it can often lead to proper investigation of the questions they have. In some cases the advice being given may not be quite up to scratch also (not saying in this case, just in general) and further investigation from several sources can often avert a possible catastrophe.

When in doubt, just remember the time honoured saying "The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked" :thumbs:

I dunno, the good old, can I keep a clownfish with my goldfish in its bowl is mighty stupid.

In Batman Begins:

The reason we fall is to learn how to get up

A question is asked and the best we can do is give our advice. We all learn from our mistakes and the great thing about having a forum is that we can try and prevent others from tripping over the same hole that we did.

It's hard not to put that beautiful star in our 10gallon or that gorgeous yellow tang in our 40. We've all been there. I think penguinpimp knows the risks by now. Back to reefkeeping. SH

penguinpimp

Aquascaper has gone to alot of trouble to help you and you throw it back in his face ????? :no:

I read all his comments and None of them seemed agressive or with attitude. Every bit of his advice is sound and to make clear the difference between depth and surface area was totally justified.

The other comment about not buying first thing you see is a general statement aimed at everyone. Who hasnt done this at one point and then totally regreted it. I once brought a Batfish around 1/2 inch long within a year he was a massive beast. Never again.

Remember people who read your future posts may be put off helping you in fear of being flamed.

An apology whould be the gentleman thing to do.

Many Thanks

Thanks Triggerhappy but no apology is needed from anyone.

Words are one of the worst forms of communication when physical contact and sight are removed as meanings are lost in translation, what can seem perfectly reasonable to one may appear unreasonable to another. The use of smilies is there to help overcome this but some people will still not understand the meaning.

It's hard to resist the temptation to jump down someones throat when they've done something you know is wrong or they're planning on doing something silly. That comes across in the replies no matter how hard you try and disguise it. We all know that we are not here to put people off posting, scare people away from the hobby or to ridicule them. We are all here (I hope) to offer all the help we can to others that share the fascination and enjoyment of the marine worlds we create.

We all make mistakes and will continue to do so, we'll put the wrong thing in the tank, do the wrong procedure, overdo this, underdo that. It's part of the hobby.

If you make a thread you have to be prepared for people to argue what you've done, point out mistakes, etc. The best thing to do is ask them to explain their view if you disagree or ask for help to remedy the situation if you think they have a point. The person may have been down that road before and is simply trying to steer you away from disaster rather than just being nasty.

We are all in this together so I would urge everybody to think before hitting the reply button, re-read your reply and look at it from another perspective before posting it. There is more than one way to get your point across ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back