Stan's freshwater 240 gallon extravaganza. Trials and tribulations of a sunlit aquarium

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I've learned that increasing the iron works even better than my previous use. I've never had to use so much iron for a whole garden full of plants...let alone a small footprint of an aquarium by comparison.
I'm close to calling iron "Liquid Co2".

Some new thing. I add iron by the the half cup now.. Things only got better. Big tank,I was always afraid to over do it..but use two capfuls of Seachem,and lots more of my garden Iron+zinc. In case you're wondering,the Syngonium is out of its mind lush and pretty much removes excess anything.
But,some plants like Hygrophila are not looking as lush as I've had them in other tanks. Could be all the competition.
So,I went to my bag of garden fertilizer 10-6-5,with iron and made for acid loving plants so has molybdenum and put a teaspoon into the big tank this afternoon. Now to see what happens. Fish had no reaction and if algae start up? A big water change should cure that.
btw Stargrass is THE fastest growing plant in the history of plants. If you want easy to please and fast? Stargrass is it.

Those Panda fish are really doing a great job...they took Cladophora down to the base,removed some brown and green algae off the black glass. Also,do a great job on the plants too. I notice..they will groom the glass,rocks,plants..but I never see them going over the driftwood. I have one yellow Ancistrus so that's what keeps the wood clean.
I should get two more Pandas. Like the Rainbows,they are always on the move. In the day when you can watch.

Some photos to prove that,yes I do have fish in this tank. Including a Panda. Hard for me to get - ever- the right lighting the way the window beams light. Camera doesn't see as well as I do seems like. Even adjusting exposure..some places stay too dark,while others are pale. Do my best with what I got. Star grass is spreading,Plants have really good color now. Laugh if you want,but garden fertilizer for ferns and azaleas..greened up my plants up more..but iron is also dosed. The combo are working well.
IMG_1971.JPG
IMG_1969.JPG
IMG_1975.JPG

I added a new plant. Its Nymphaea rubra. As I understand it,its not Tiger Lotus,but larger and yet still a dwarf water lily. It came as a bulb..larger than any you would buy at TLFS. So,I see it as a pond plant that can be grown in an aquarium with enough light. Its now in a pot at the back of the aquarium and in sunlight unsprouted. When it gets going..photos.

I love your rainbows, looking good! :good:

I added a new plant. Its Nymphaea rubra. As I understand it,its not Tiger Lotus,but larger and yet still a dwarf water lily. It came as a bulb..larger than any you would buy at TLFS. So,I see it as a pond plant that can be grown in an aquarium with enough light. Its now in a pot at the back of the aquarium and in sunlight unsprouted. When it gets going..photos.
I have never seen this plant before, but it sounds good. :)

Thanks PKZ.! This tank is going on its third July since 2018. And you know it never was supposed to be a plant tank. I only put in 1" of pool sand..or maybe less.Now,I'm thinking I might add more small gravel ..not sure. But I noticed that lately I've gotten a good population of Malaysian trumpet snails. I hadn't realized how many until I dropped shrimp pellets into a quiet corner for the Panda garras. Soon,all these snails were there and making criss cross tracks. Interesting!

In two more days it will be two weeks since I did a water change. This will be only the second time I've gone that long without a change of water. What I notice about weekly water changes..or even after the two weeks, is that the plants lose the deep green color for awhile. Then,I have to mega dose iron,potassium and maybe epsom salts. Then,more waiting for the colors to deepen.
So maybe I can go a month this time?
I think those aquascapers who make massive weekly changes?..THEY have dosing going in daily. Maybe if they weren't changing the water so often,they wouldn't need to daily dose or dose the amounts they do- right? Most of them have so few fish..or nano fish,why huge changes? The y have almost no strain on the filters in bio loads.
One thing I am doing twice a week is...replacing the water that evaporates..its about 12 gallons of water per week..maybe more. The Syngonium is sucking water up I bet like my tank is an oasis.
Other things I want to do ? Take some of the potted aquarium plants out..wash off most of the old soils,and replace with fresh. The Swords and Crypts could use some freshening up.
See,now if I had used a dirted tanks and planted them in it.. I would have to breakdown the whole tank.
Why I use pots!

That’s actually interesting...

I was doing the same little “experiment” With my 29g planted tank.

I wanted to see if weekly water changes helped with the color of my plants. I found out something very interesting!

It does in fact make the plants have a deeper green color. Who knew? :fish:

Right,no strain on the fish that I can see. Same-o. But nice to see the Stargrass carpet is lush and to keep it at 2"or a little more,once a week I prune. I'm still spreading it around the tank.
But,I could see another week..three. From there see how it goes. I know my bottle of Iron gluconate is going farther.

@Stan510 This is an acrylic tank from 1985? So cool to see it lasting that long! I thought my Eheim classic canister filter from 1999 was old!

Its been through everything. I once was moving it empty...and dropped it to the carpeted floor. Never leaked. I one time took it down and stored it standing up for 2 or 3 years...did not warp. It's like the Toyota of aquariums.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back