Staghorn...

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Cheering news :p I'll be ruthless and remove every affected leaf then! Crypts are tough, they'll survive even if they end up with nothing but roots. Hope it hasn't spread any further... will see what I'm facing tomorrow, fingers crossed it's not another disaster, I need some good news not more bad tank stuff.

I concur with the others - reduce lighting. (1-2 hours works best)

You can also try to manually remove some of it.

reducing my lighting did not work

You can spot treat it. I have seen people doing this on YT. Spot treating involves using a pipette or syringe to apply Seachem Excel Flourish directly to the algae. Daily dosing kills that type of algae fast.

How long has this tank been setup for NC?

You can spot treat it. I have seen people doing this on YT. Spot treating involves using a pipette or syringe to apply Seachem Excel Flourish directly to the algae. Daily dosing kills that type of algae fast.
Excel wouldn't agree with my shrimp I dont think

How long has this tank been setup for NC?
That set up was for quite some time, but now I've upgraded to a 55g and fed all the affected plants to my apple snail

Excel wouldn't agree with my shrimp I dont think

That set up was for quite some time, but now I've upgraded to a 55g and fed all the affected plants to my apple snail
Excel is perfectly safe for shrimp, if used as directed. You would be using even less than the recommended dose.

Excel is perfectly safe for shrimp, if used as directed. You would be using even less than the recommended dose.
I'd steer clear of Excel where livestock is concerned. Plant only tank, fine. As Byron says, "Do not use Flourish Excel. This is glutaraldehyde, a highly toxic disinfectant". I'm too lazy to find his other post where he talks about discussing the product with a technician at Seachem, and they couldn't confirm its safety with regards to fish.
For any algae issues, you're best slowly adjusting, where possible, light, co2, ferts, fish food (phosphate). And meanwhile removing any algae manually. Sometimes other plants can be introduced that are known to produce algae inhibiting allelochemicals. Its all a balancing act that requires more patience than most humans possess unfortunately lol

I dunno its all null and void now so lol

Most reactions

Back