Stag horn and BBA

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

It is important to sort out some of the data on Excel. Seachem is not being truthful here.

First thing though, if I may be allowed to offer a suggestion @Chrenobeno, is to include information as to the source behind a citation posted so we all know the background. Reading just the citation, I immediately thought you were an employee since it read "my company..." .

Excel is, as admitted by Seachem in the link in post #13, polycycloglutaracetal. You can find definitions online stating that this is a derivative (if that is the correct term) of glutaraldehyde. There's this: "Polycycloglutaracetal is an isomeric form of glutaraldehyde… however it is less reactive and more easily utilized by plants as a carbon source."
This comes from a biochemist who further says most of the "data" in the Seachem citation is utter nonsense.

Excel will kill some plants at the recommended dose. Vallisneria, mosses and ferns are especially affected. This in itself should sound warning bells.

Excel will kill algae. This too should sound warning bells. Substances that kill plants/algae have no business in an aquarium with fish (or plants or bacteria for that matter).

Several members have reported burns if Excel is splashed on their skin. Does anyone seriously think this is something that is OK in a fish tank???

I have to disagree with the assertion that Excel kills fish and plants. I don't recommend using any chemicals unless absolutely necessary. I have used excel on several occasions to kill BBA when the infestation got so bad that the plants could not grow properly, even with balance restored. I have not observed it killing fish or burning plants. As for the burns on skin, that's full strength. In an aquarium, it is extremely diluted, so while that might sound a warning bell, it doesn't necessarily disqualify its use: I wouldn't drink full-strength water conditioner either, and even Oxygen is toxic at high enough concentrations. So, I wouldn't use it on an ongoing basis, but in an emergency I've found it effective and generally safe enough. Use any chemical only if the alternative (in my case, having a tank taken over by BBA) is worse.

Other than that, lots of good, good advice on this thread.

Couldn’t bring myself to use the Seachem in the end. I had some advice from a friend who advised Easy-life alg-exit and Fluval phosphate sponge for the filter. Thanks for all the advice and I have learnt some forum etiquette too! Happy fish keeping.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back