Stacking three sponge filters. Need opinions, please.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

MammaBearinTN

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I'm setting up a 30 gallon long and have purchased the Aquaclear 50 (with sponge prefilter) for filtration.

I would also like to use a stack of 3 Aquarium co-op sponge filters (1 medium, 2 small) In the event that my electricity is off for a period of time, I could battery operate the medium in the 30g tank and the 2 smalls in my betta tanks.

Is this going to work? After a period of time, will I have enough bacteria on all of the sponges for this to work? I also plan on using the sponges in my quarantine tank when needed.

I wonder if I'm going to have enough waste matter to grow and feed this much bacteria.

Thanks for your help. This is a great site.

I would just have the sponge filters on hand, as backups....I wouldn't clutter the tank with them.

In the event of a power outtage, insert the sponge filters into the tank, and take the media from the AC's and place in the water, next to the sponge filters...you won't lose your cycle, and you can later remove the sponge filters easily, when the power is back on.

Beneficial bacteria grow on all the hard surfaces but for simplicity imagine it is only on the filter media. The sponges will grow enough bacteria to support the fish in the tank. So say 4 sponges in a tank with 20 fish, each sponge will have the bacteria to support 5 fish. If you transport the sponges to the other tanks each will provide enough for only 5 fish and reduce the bacteria in the original tank. So initially you would have to be cautious but an established colony of bacteria can multiply quickly if handled properly, as is often the case when we add fish to the tank.

@AbbeysDad has a great article: The videos are informative too.

Eons ago I watched a fish store video where they bragged about their 'instant cycle'. They merely 'cleaned' a sponge filter from a healthy 'cycled' tank in the new tanks water. Now I wouldn't overstock a new tank that's been instant cycled, but cycling just doesn't have to be a long, drawn out process either...as long as you 'seed' the new tank with beneficial bacteria .

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back