FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Circus

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
When I got up today I did my usual checkin of all the fish, turning on lights and whatnot. In my qt tank I noticed I was missing a cardinal tetra. I found him wedged between my heater and the glass. Thinking he was dead I pried the heater away and he sank to the bottom. As I turned to get the net, he must have started swimming again. Not dead after all! He was at the surface for a bit then went back to his school. I had noticed he had a dent in his side, but it doesn't show in the pics very well. Is there anything I should do for him? He is swimming fine now, but I would like to head off any potential problems.

Attachments

• 20200814_111750.jpg
    20200814_111750.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 184
  • 20200814_111746.jpg
    20200814_111746.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 156
My pear gourami got wedged between stones once, her belly got squished and she scraped off her scales.
She's fine now, I hope your tetra will make it :)

It could have potentially received some internal injury’s, is he still swimming ok?

(You can preform 40%+ water changes per day, until his missing scales/fins grow back)

It could have potentially received some internal injury’s, is he still swimming ok?
He was really shaky at first and wobbled a bit, sitting on some water sprite near the top. After a couple of minutes he was swimming fine, other than being a bit slower to react than the others. It takes effort to spot which one he is if they are all relatively still.

He was really shaky at first and wobbled a bit, sitting on some water sprite near the top. After a couple of minutes he was swimming fine, other than being a bit slower to react than the others. It takes effort to spot which one he is if they are all relatively still.
Ok, good. Just keep a close eye on him. :good:

I have noticed my neon like to squeeze into small places too, I would keep an eye on him and make sure he is not being bullied by other fish. He may have been trying to get away from another fish.
I'd make sure that your neons don't have such tight spaces to get wedged in and hurt themselves.

My qt is pretty small, only 5.5 gallons. What is the shortest amount of time I could qt, in order to avoid bullying? I usually qt for 2 weeks.

I'd make sure that your neons don't have such tight spaces to get wedged in and hurt themselves.
I check my tanks out closely, my only concern is my two heaters and they are pretty close to the tank walls. I use to have problems with fish getting stuck in my HOB filters but I do not use them anymore and I leave space around my sponge filters. I have stumps with small opening for the fish to swim in and out of and they are hollow. My other tetra (glow light, red eye and ember) do not spend much time going into the stumps just seems to be a neon thing.

id be worried about possible burns from being squished by the heater if its on.

Maybe dose a bit of stress guard and use that with water changes for him
I don’t think fish can actually get burns...

Betta for example, love resting on heaters - they never get burned.

I could be wrong though...

My qt is pretty small, only 5.5 gallons. What is the shortest amount of time I could qt, in order to avoid bullying? I usually qt for 2 weeks.
I wouldn’t QT him if I were you. Separating him from his school will severely stress him out.

I don’t think fish can actually get burns...

Betta for example, love resting on heaters - they never get burned.

I could be wrong though...
Some fish can become burned, depending on the heater and fish. Its happened with catfish particularly as theyre scale less. Planet catfish warns against it often

Some fish can become burned, depending on the heater and fish. Its happened with catfish particularly as theyre scale less. Planet catfish warns against it often
So catfish, like plecos can get burned? What about other fish? Bettas for example.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back