spring break with my betta? help!

fishyfriendemily

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a college student and at the start of the semester, I got a betta to keep me company. He is in a 5 gal tank and is doing very well, but spring break is next week and I have to figure out how to travel with him. My college doesn't allow you to leave pet fish in the dorm over break, so my only option is to bring him back and forth. I'll be driving both ways (about 2-2.5 hr each way), and I'll have to bring the tank with me because I don't have one at home. I know traveling can be very stressful for fish, so I was wondering if anyone had tips for me... I'm just not sure where to start. Thanks so much!

Last edited:
That should be ok. I would just bag and him like you would be shipping him, and then drain 75% of the water out of his tank. Refill the tank and drip acclimate him when you get to your destination. Fast him for a day before the the trip so he doesn't muck up his water.

(Shipping info if you don't know)
1. appropriate size box for the fish
2. foam or bubble wrap to line the box
3. fish or reptile shipping heat pack or hot hands
4. fish bag from from fish store (2 per fish)
5. newspaper or packing foam
6.rubber bands

Line your box with bubble wrap or foam. Place the fish in the bag 1 third full of its aquarium water and 2 thirds air. It only needs enough water to cover the fish anyway the bag is moved. Tie the bag with a knot then under the nor a rubber band. Flip the bag upside down and place it into the seccond bag, pushing it all the way to the bottom. This will get rid of the corners preventing the fish to get stuck. Then knot and rubber band the top of the seccond bag getting rid of the top corners. Fill the box half way with foam or peper and place the fish in, then full it the rest of the way leaving enough room gor the heat pack. Place the heat pack then shut and tape up the box.

Thank you for your help.
After doing a little more research, I read that keeping a fish in a bag for longer than an hour with air in the bag is not ideal, and they could suffocate. One website said I would need to buy pure oxygen instead, and I'd prefer not to spend a lot of money or have to go through the trouble of finding it. Do you think he would be okay with regular air in the bag?

Thank you for your help.
After doing a little more research, I read that keeping a fish in a bag for longer than an hour with air in the bag is not ideal, and they could suffocate. One website said I would need to buy pure oxygen instead, and I'd prefer not to spend a lot of money or have to go through the trouble of finding it. Do you think he would be okay with regular air in the bag?
Yes, regular air is fine. I've shipped tuns of fish and never used pure oxygen, just normal air. (As long as you have atleast 4 inches of air in the bag I should say.)

Hello fellow college student!
For winter break, I just transported my betta in the cup he came in and stuck him in a cup holder. I also put a few drops of stress guard in the cup. My drive is about 3.5-4 hours one way and he did just fine. I'm planning on doing the same thing this break. I'm sure that the bag method would work as well though.

For winter break, I just transported my betta in the cup he came in and stuck him in a cup holder. I also put a few drops of stress guard in the cup. My drive is about 3.5-4 hours one way and he did just fine. I'm planning on doing the same thing this break. I'm sure that the bag method would work as well though.
Ya, the cup would work 2. I prefer boxing though as ots heated and no risk of spilling

Will he have enough oxygen? Did you leave the cup open or put the lid on?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back