Spreading Out Aggression

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Crossfire

Cogito Ergo Sum
Reaction score
I have a mated pair of sparkling gourami, one male one female. Now, they occasionally squabble but they have their own territories they keep to. But, the male is getting stressed out because the female doesn't want to breed and he's starting to scratch himself on the driftwood. This behavior was observed also with my Peacock Gobies right before the male murdered the female in a rage.
I've always wanted more sparkling gourami, and I was wondering if adding another female would be a good thing? The male could spread out his stress between two gourami ladies, and not be tempted to rage kill the females. But then, wouldn't there be more territorial spats?
Any opinions on this?

I have a mated pair of sparkling gourami, one male one female. Now, they occasionally squabble but they have their own territories they keep to. But, the male is getting stressed out because the female doesn't want to breed and he's starting to scratch himself on the driftwood. This behavior was observed also with my Peacock Gobies right before the male murdered the female in a rage.
I've always wanted more sparkling gourami, and I was wondering if adding another female would be a good thing? The male could spread out his stress between two gourami ladies, and not be tempted to rage kill the females. But then, wouldn't there be more territorial spats?
Any opinions on this?

I have 7 gourami total. 4 are of three dot varietes, 3 of the paradise fish,and one dwarf. they make up most of my 55 gallons stocking,they have there little fights but are other wise fairly civil.

so I'm sure if you got another female it would make a difference in the spread of aggression. Seems like alot of people have bad experience with gourami so i feel lucky to have 7 entertaining me for the past months without too many dying off. (lost two paradise fish to a strange fungus and they both came from the same batch, same tank, and same day.)

The more females the better. Generally the females don't terrorize each other, so adding one or two more shouldn't be an issue. One way I've found to introduce new fish that may fight with others, is to use a plastic breeding box, like for guppies, and leave the new fish in there for a few days or longer. This let's them see each other without being able to touch.

The more females the better. Generally the females don't terrorize each other, so adding one or two more shouldn't be an issue. One way I've found to introduce new fish that may fight with others, is to use a plastic breeding box, like for guppies, and leave the new fish in there for a few days or longer. This let's them see each other without being able to touch.

That's a good idea RT, but I'm just concerned that two sparkling gourami would be very unhappy if they were forced to share a breeding box for a few days. Ruskull recommended I get two SG females at once to minimize aggression

Rearranging the tank decor just after adding the new fish will break up any territories that might be established. This will give the new fish a better chance of carving out there own little spot.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back