Spongy stuff

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ostrow

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi.  I've re-planted my tank, after treating the new plants for snails, etc. (see help snails discussion in the emergencies section).

Anyway, two of my three plants came in pot, which I like.  But the plants were in this spongy grey stuff.  The lfs, a good one (finally) had these in the tanks, but I'm wondering what the stuff is and if it could cause problems later.  Has anyone else encountered it?

I did try removing it on one of the plants, and planted it in the gravel.  But it was not possible to remove all of this stuff without endangering the root system.  Or so I feared.

Any advice?

Ostrow, read Rose's comments to wlbadger just before your posting. The spongy stuff is a medium that most lfs grow their plants in. It housed the nutrients for the plants. Sometimes it comes as a yellowish matting sometimes greyish. Depending upon the source of the plant company who supplies your lfs.
If the matting you must keep an eye or in this case a nose to your water,just in case it leaches out sulphur dixode.(a smell of rotten eggs) Rose suggests replacing it with filter medium. This would seem to be quite sound as it is neutural medium. However, you must not forget to feed your plants because the medium will have no nutrients until the roots are established through it and into the substrate. The piece that Rose wrote is very detailed and interesting. I suggest you have a read.

That the plants I usually get to. I remove the pot and as much wool as posible. Every now and then I remove a wee bit more. ;)

I remove what wool I can and burry the rest in the gravel with the plant. There is no way you can get a plant wool free. Get what you can and deal with the rest if it needs to be at a later date. Rose

Removing the wool is unnecessary. It does not inhibit the root system, nor does the pot for that matter. Plant with sponge and pot. This will also make it easier to remove if you happen to kill it through nutrient or lighting neglect.

Michael, this is the fourth post of yours that I've read since joining this forum. You seem like such a friendly guy. So consistently nice, and helpful. Always with an encouraging word.

For all the rest, who ARE helpful. I am happy to report that the plants are responding nicely to the Flourish and Flourish tabs that I put in (Excel just isn't to be found in the Chicago area for some reason). Already new shoots coming out of one plant, and the one that had turned brown after soaking the plants with Jungle Products Clear Water (potassium permanganate) is perking up well ... brown spots going back to green.

Folks at the lfs seem divided on the wool. Some say leave in, other say it can rot as reported elsewhere here. Apparently, though, the rotting is pretty rare for this stuff, usually linked to some other problem?

No snails to report so far, but it may be early.

Most important, fish seem healthy (I worried a bit after the p.p. treatment, but it seems to have not bothered the fish at all ... I did rinse the plants thoroughly first). Tank seems stabilized again.

Thanks for the help to all on the Ick/infection/parasite and snail problems. A turbulent couple of weeks!

Michael from this moment forward if you can not say something nice to the members of this board DO NOTsay anything at all.  If I get any more complaints about your attitude toward the others who use this board I will delete any and all posts you make.  DO I MAKE MY SELF CLEAR!  If you have a problem with this go somewhere else.  No one likes a know it all especially one who doesn't know much of anything.  This is evedent by the fact that you havne't answered any of our questions which suggests you have something to hide....like your inept or you really don't have a clue and want to act important....News flash your not important to this board and as such will be removed if you don't clean up your act.  This is your last warning in any and all of my forums.

Rose (moderator)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back