Sponge Filters

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

boston71

Reaction score
I have seen a lot of videos on cichlids, there seems to be using sponge filters, is there a specific reason for using them in cichlid tanks? Thanks just started taking care of cichlids...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

You can use any sort of filter with cichlids but some fish dig and that can stop an undergravel filter working effectively. And if the fish have babies a power filter could suck them up. Air operated sponge filters work well for small species in breeding tanks or a trickle filter/ sump can be used on bigger tanks with large fish.

You can use any sort of filter with cichlids but some fish dig and that can stop an undergravel filter working effectively. And if the fish have babies a power filter could suck them up. Air operated sponge filters work well for small species in breeding tanks or a trickle filter/ sump can be used on bigger tanks with large fish.
Thanks I am running a sunsun 404b canister, with Finnex 24/7 lighting on a 75 gal..I like keeping cichlids, nice color, and very active fish..great group..

Post up a pic of your cichlid tank... if I were to set up another tank , I probably would do a cichlid tank.

You might want to enter our tank of the month contest. Next one starts on November 1st. Please vote in the current contest. You can go the poll by clicking banner at top of forums.

It use to be all tetras, but switched over to Cichlids, I seen one with all black background, and white sand, I would love to redo mine over, buy my better half says black I say white, and I lose...
8b5a689ea2896ce66b7d4c6ec0b87b09.jpg

Sponge filters are great, and have many benefits... cost and ease of use being the main reasons. Really the only drawback is the appearance.

I'd say they are great for any type of fish.

Black backgrounds look best imo.

I still like to have at least one power filter for mechanical filtration and added biological filtration.

I run a sponge filter and an HOB. The only tanks that have only sponge filters are my betta and shrimp tanks. I am learning to love my sponge filters the best.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back