Sponge Filters/Corner Box Filters

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

MAM

Mamalammadingdong
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
looking at converting to a sponge filter in at least one of my tanks. planning to breed a pair of killis, and my power filter doesn't really work for this (that and the adults already hate the heavy current). so i've been looking at whats out there. my big question is, how accurate are the company claims about tank size the filters will work with? see, i use aquaclear HOB filters. they say the mini is fine for 10 gal, but i always upped it to the 150, and the 150 they said was fine for up to 20 gal, but i use the 200 model on the 20 etc. i want to be sure to get the best filtration. so do the little sponge filters that say theyre good for 10gal, is that claim usually accurate, or would you recommend i go with a larger one?

also, for those of you who use sponge filters, what shapes do you prefer (theres the triangle corner one, the round ones, the flower like ones)?

next, i've seen these little corner box filters. basically a plastic box filled with media, witha tube connected to airline tubing connected to an air pump. are these any good?? i had a box type filter that suctioned to the tank wall before and was fairly pleased with it so i assume they work much the same, but just wanted some opinions.

I love the sponge filters! My favorite type is the kind that you can slide off for cleaning. You usually see these in the petsmart type stores stuck to the back of the tank. They are easier to clean, and you can replace the sponge when it finally disintegrates instead of tossing the whole filter. I have heard the box filters are good also, but are ugly. I have been able to hide my sponge filters with rocks and plants pretty easily.

I routinely use sponge filters in breeding tanks. They can be run in another tanks for a few weeks before moving to the breeding tank to build up some bacteria and other flora. The small rotifers and other things that live on the surface of the sponge provide a good food source as well for small fry. You'll often find your fry "hanging around" the sponge.

Most of mine have cylindrical sponges and an air operated uplift, (powerheads buffet the fry too much for my liking). I would say the ratings are pretty reasonable. I have a number of them, if I'm using a large breeding tank, I put 2 or 3 in there, but a single seems adequate until the fry are large enough to take a power filtered growing on tank.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back