Sponge Coral Care?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

PRW1988

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody could give me some information on sponge corals. I bought one today (on impulse :blush: ) and figured I could find more information at home than what the guy at the store told me. He said that all I need to know is 3 things, 1) don't let the coral touch oxygen or it could very easily die. 2) place it out of direct light and 3) it's a filter feeder.

So I'd like to know if that's truly all there is to caring for a sponge? If so I'd like to keep more! :lol: :fun:

Scientific name is necessary. There too many different sponges to name. Some do OK in our tanks others do very poorly.

I was wondering if anybody could give me some information on sponge corals. I bought one today (on impulse :blush: ) and figured I could find more information at home than what the guy at the store told me. He said that all I need to know is 3 things, 1) don't let the coral touch oxygen or it could very easily die. 2) place it out of direct light and 3) it's a filter feeder.

So I'd like to know if that's truly all there is to caring for a sponge? If so I'd like to keep more! :lol: :fun:

As nemo says we'll need a scientific name and a pic would help.

In general sponges don't take to aquarium life very well, they need top notch water quality, and very good flow.

As to what the shop has told you, it would depend on the species of sponge, some are photosynthetic so would need good lighting.

Seffie administers sharp slap on the wrist to PRW - One of the Golden rules, Never buy anything you havent researched :p :look:

Seffie x

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back