Splitting freshwater stock between 3 gallon and new 5 gallon

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Thanks Byron! What floating plants would you recommend? I tried some frogbit in my 3 gallon and they all pretty much melted after a couple of weeks. My Betta kept getting stuck in the roots and was having trouble finding spots to get air between the leaves.

Then I tried some loose java moss but OMG it got everywhere and was just a mess LOL I tried tying the clump onto some cholla wood with fishing line, but it just kept losing bits that would root themselves all over. I'm still finding bits of it in the 3-gallon months later!

I think it was the current in the tank that killed the frogbit (?), which is not high but definitely keeps the surface moving. I had already cut a plastic bottle for a baffle for my filter (Azoo Mignon Filter 60) since it was blowing the Betta around when I first turned the filter on the low setting, and I put in two small holes on the front of the baffle to add a little surface agitation.

I know he likes making bubble nests under the almond leaves I drop in the tank but they always sink eventually.

Do you think the 5-gallon will be adequately planted with what I have?

I have Sylvania in my 10g betta tank and he likes it very much. I do have some frogbit to, but it doesn't grow near as well as my Sylvania. I had that same problem with my floating plants not growing. I have a tetra 2-10g filter, but I removed it after about 5 months, because it wasn't working. Ask @Byron to explain why you really don't need a filter in your tank. I have no filter in my 10g betta tank, or my 5g betta tank. They have been running for over 6 months and they have had no problems.

Thanks Byron! What floating plants would you recommend? I tried some frogbit in my 3 gallon and they all pretty much melted after a couple of weeks. My Betta kept getting stuck in the roots and was having trouble finding spots to get air between the leaves.

Then I tried some loose java moss but OMG it got everywhere and was just a mess LOL I tried tying the clump onto some cholla wood with fishing line, but it just kept losing bits that would root themselves all over. I'm still finding bits of it in the 3-gallon months later!

I think it was the current in the tank that killed the frogbit (?), which is not high but definitely keeps the surface moving. I had already cut a plastic bottle for a baffle for my filter (Azoo Mignon Filter 60) since it was blowing the Betta around when I first turned the filter on the low setting, and I put in two small holes on the front of the baffle to add a little surface agitation.

I know he likes making bubble nests under the almond leaves I drop in the tank but they always sink eventually.

Do you think the 5-gallon will be adequately planted with what I have?

As there are no fish in the 5g, you can really do anything with plants. You asked about substrate earlier...I would use dark play sand. The white gravel would be glaring for me (from my perspective) though with no fish it doesn't matter I guess, and it might be calcareous which wold benefit the invertebrates depending what species. You have very soft water.

As for plants with the Betta, Water Sprite would be ideal. This will grow large once settled, but it produces so many adventitious plants that you could easily keep them and discard them when they get toolarge, thus ensuring open areas. This plant is native to Betta habitats, though that really doesn't matter. Frogbit is less easy to do this with. A third is Water Lettuce (check Deanasue's recent thread on this plant) that is sort of in between the other two in terms of keeping them small.

Thank you for the plant suggestions for the Betta. I like the Water Sprite quite a bit, it reminds me of carrot stems. :)

I will definitely see what my LFS has in stock when I'm ready to set up the 5 gallon. I'm pretty good at propagating plants, that's how I ended up with so many anubias nana. I'm sure some Water Sprite would end up in the 5 gallon sooner or later.

I also like java ferns and sword plants so I'll keep those in mind.

I'd like to put something in the foreground of the 5 gallon for the shrimp. I've had so-so luck with moss carpets, I like the look of dwarf hairgrass but I don't know if I need the whole substrate covered.

I like the idea of the dark play sand. I may try some in the rear half of the tank with the plants and driftwood piece (I'm thinking like a mini tree stump with lots of hiding spots in the lower area) in the 5 gallon and put the white gravel in the front or something...hmmm

I am intrigued by the concept of a filterless tank. Would I need an airstone to keep the water surface moving for oxygenation? I've got the ceramic filter media in my current 3 gallon filter along with a custom-cut fiber pad to catch anything chunky--I have a charcoal pad I can cut pieces to size from, but I don't think it's necessary all of the time. I mostly used it to help clear medication after treating the Betta.

I would love recommendations on lighting and covers too. I've got my eye on these.

LED Light:
NICREW ClassicLED Aquarium Light, Fish Tank Light with Extendable Brackets, White and Blue LEDs

Heater:
Aqueon Pro Submersible 50W Heater

Cover:
Aqueon Versa-Top for Glass Aquariums

I wish I could put my Betta in the 5 gallon but he's too aggressive. :/ I am hoping that the mystery snail, MTS/pond snails, shrimp, and crab will be more active and fun to watch without the Betta scaring them.

I couldn't find a plant called Sylvania, just lighting LOL Did you mean salvinia?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Never mix substrate materials. The same substrate throughout the tank will make the space seem larger, and be more natural. In any event, they will mix, guaranteed, though without fish this may be less/slower but water currents do exist in any aquarium.

Swords are pretty large, but the pygmy chain sword would work. This plant does exceptionally well for me, with moderate light and soft water. As for carpet plants, I have never bothered because my initial attempts showed that my light is insufficient, but you might have better luck.

I think Salvinia was what he intended. This is a nice floating plant, much smaller so it does less filtering of light and nutrients than the others I mentioned, but it is another option.

I had my 10g running for a year with no filter and no light, as an experiment. It sat in front of a west facing window and the plants managed but of course grew toward the back glass, and algae is much more difficult to control with natural light because it varies more than artificial tank light that can be controlled precisely. The water never got crystal clear which is not "bad" as far as fish and plants are concerned, but after the year I added a single sponge filter and it became crystal clear which is for me nice to view. Without fish, this might not happen (the faint haze). I had largish groups of pygmy cories and dwarf rasboras in this tank.

I know nothing about LED lighting so I'll leave that for those who do to comment. My five forays into LED were failures, I have stayed with my T8 fluorescent that I know. The glass covers set is good, I have one on my 40g. This is a good cover because you can have any light fixture you want. The glass cover sits down inside the frame on the lip around the tank, and the light fixture sits above this on the actual tank frame.

If there is just going to be a betta and some shrimp, you don't need any air stone, Some people just put them in there for looks, but I think it takes away from the beauty of the tank. Yeah, lol, my bad. I meant Salvinia. :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back