Split Level 55gal (Thoughts?)

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

CluelessInCarolina

Reaction score
Im wanting to put a 55gallon tank in our home because of the size of the tank floor for my aquatic pets. However since we're currently in a mobile home until our home is built and building extra support isn't an option at the moment, I was hoping to fill to approximately 30ish gallons (give or take). However I didn't want it to look funny with the amount of space above the water level. So I decided I wanted to build a second level to plant additional plants and would love to incorporate some sort of life on that level as well.
Picture for reference. Granted this is a rough sketch and its not to scale by far. I'm sure things will have to be changed a bit but it gives you an idea of the thought process I had. I'm also sure the math for the gallons to the height I have is off but that's fine and I'll adjust the aquatic animals accordingly.
The math comes out to roughly 336 square inches of terrestrial living area. Which is more than the average 20H or 25gal. However its not quite as much as a 20L or 29gal, its 24 square inches smaller so not much.

Attachments

• InShot_20211230_023748465.jpg
    InShot_20211230_023748465.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 91
Im wanting to put a 55gallon tank in our home because of the size of the tank floor for my aquatic pets. However since we're currently in a mobile home until our home is built and building extra support isn't an option at the moment, I was hoping to fill to approximately 30ish gallons (give or take). However I didn't want it to look funny with the amount of space above the water level. So I decided I wanted to build a second level to plant additional plants and would love to incorporate some sort of life on that level as well.
Picture for reference. Granted this is a rough sketch and its not to scale by far. I'm sure things will have to be changed a bit but it gives you an idea of the thought process I had. I'm also sure the math for the gallons to the height I have is off but that's fine and I'll adjust the aquatic animals accordingly.
The math comes out to roughly 336 square inches of terrestrial living area. Which is more than the average 20H or 25gal. However its not quite as much as a 20L or 29gal, its 24 square inches smaller so not much.
It sounds like you REALLY want an aquarium, which is awesome... But, when your home is built, you are going to have to move fish, plants, rocks, wood, and sand or gravel inside your home. You would literally have to take your WHOLE aquarium apart just to put it together in your house. My recommendation is to wait until your home is built amd then get supplies. If you moved the tank with water OR water-weighed substrate and decor in it, the bottom will fall out, and if the bottom foesnt crack out while moving, you are one lucky man (or woman)

We aren't super worried about moving it as its being moved roughly.... 100 yards give or take. The house is going to take 2ish years to finish as I refuse to go into debt to build it. So its a very slow process especially with the price of materials right now (its INSANE). Im aware we'll have to disassemble and reassemble but with proper planning it will be a relatively smooth process since it can be done quick enough for everything to be fine with the beneficial bacteria. I'm already having to break down a 10gallon and 20gallon when we move that are in different rooms so its not to daunting of a feat. But I completely understand that its a lot of work to come
It sounds like you REALLY want an aquarium, which is awesome... But, when your home is built, you are going to have to move fish, plants, rocks, wood, and sand or gravel inside your home. You would literally have to take your WHOLE aquarium apart just to put it together in your house. My recommendation is to wait until your home is built amd then get supplies. If you moved the tank with water OR water-weighed substrate and decor in it, the bottom will fall out, and if the bottom foesnt crack out while moving, you are one lucky man (or woman)

We aren't super worried about moving it as its being moved roughly.... 100 yards give or take. The house is going to take 2ish years to finish as I refuse to go into debt to build it. So its a very slow process especially with the price of materials right now (its INSANE). Im aware we'll have to disassemble and reassemble but with proper planning it will be a relatively smooth process since it can be done quick enough for everything to be fine with the beneficial bacteria. I'm already having to break down a 10gallon and 20gallon when we move that are in different rooms so its not to daunting of a feat. But I completely understand that its a lot of work to come
Sounds like you've got a good plan... I hope everything goes ok with it. I would just be very cautious with it cracking and such

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back