Spider Wood?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
đŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! 🩎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Reaction score
Has anyone used spider wood in their tanks? Found this neat piece, but never heard it mentioned before.
TIA!
649B0F08-76D0-4A5B-8FA7-24FA56907E19.jpeg
7EB2FC4B-291E-424A-98DF-C621DBB4624F.jpeg

I have used Spider wood before. It is beuatiful wood. Only thing that happened to me was that it grew some wierd clear fungus and I had to hose it off every water change. It doesn't seem to harm my fish or grow on anything but the Spider wood. I'm no expert on it though so I'm not 100% sure what it is.

I have used Spider wood before. It is beuatiful wood. Only thing that happened to me was that it grew some wierd clear fungus and I had to hose it off every water change. It doesn't seem to harm my fish or grow on anything but the Spider wood. I'm no expert on it though so I'm not 100% sure what it is.
Someone else on another group said it developed a biofilm, but snails or shrimp clear that right up. I have a few Cherry shrimp in there, so they will love that!

Haven't tried it but I almost got some instead of my mopani wood for java moss.

Maybe try boiling beforehand would help help to clear out any unwanted bacteria in there, and also pull out big first batch of tannins (not sure how spider wood is with tannins). Boiling worked wonders with my mopani and malaysian wood.

If it does have tannins and you don't like the tea colored water look, throw a bit of Purigen in a filter media bag and put it before your chem filtration. Lasts longer than activated carbon (like, months longer compared to a week or 2), can be recharged (need at least 2 to do that) and it's safe for your fishys.

I'm not certain but I have seen other members say not to boil it because it breaks down the wood fibers

Oh no!?! Aaahh I should've read about it more before posting -.-'

Thought I had read that ppl boil it so it will sink easier.. don't remember seeing anything about deterioration in articles, but so far into the hobby I've learned a lot of articles don't scratch much below the surface info..

Hope the wood is ok >.< If it was boiled for a short amount of time I wouldn't overly worry

I recall Byron saying he had an issue with spiderwood:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back