Spider web like substance...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

letssetup

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I put live plants into my tank a few weeks ago now, however I'm getting some green web stuff going all other the place.

Is this normal? Should I remove it or should I leave it?

IMG_20200820_002220.jpg

Wind the strings of algae round your finger or an old toothbrush till it's all pulled away. But when I had that it came back straight away.
Algae is usually cause by an imbalance between light and plant fertiliser. If you can tell us how long the lights are on for, and if you have live plants and dose fertiliser, which product and how much we may be able to suggest a way of preventing it.

Lights are on from about 10am till 10pm, so 12 hours.

Don't use any chemicals for the plants.

Normally I have tank lights on for 7-8 hours, this is pretty regular with lots of uk fish keepers who have planted tanks. 12 hours is a little too long, especially if you have strong or intense tank lights.

This looks like it’s filamentous or green thread algae.

It’s usually found in tanks with an imbalance of light and nutrients in the tank, actually quite common in newly set up tanks where new plants have not fully established.

If memory serves, lots of fast growing plants will compete against the algae for nutrients, as essjay mentioned earlier using an old toothbrush or something then twist and wind the algae around this and remove as much as you possibly can.

The fast growing plants and your manual removal of these green thread algae will eventually get rid of it, takes a while though, couple of weeks to 3 weeks perhaps if you remove as much as you can daily. This algae grows fairly quick so have to keep an eye on it until the plants and tank naturally returns the tanks balance back to where it should be.

Putting your lights on a daily plug timer will help as well, aim for 8 hours or maybe 9 if your lights are not particularly strong. Can get a cheap analogue plug timer from loads of places, Argos, Wilkos or any hardware store will likely have them as well as online of course.

Last edited:
Don't use any chemicals for the plants.
As with house plants, aquarium plants do need some form of fertiliser. Some plants grown rooted in the substrate are root feeders which need root tabbs pushed into the substrate near the plant and replaced every few months (timing depending on the brand). Other rooted plants and those grown attached to decor need a liquid plant food. The two best liquid fertilisers available in the UK are Seachem Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for the Planted Aquarium (there are other Flourishes but only this one) and TNC Lite (not TNC Complete). For root feeders, Seachem Flourish Tabs come highly recommended as they don't make a mess in the water unlike some brands.
My plants are all attached to wood or floating so I'm not well up on rooted plants. If you tell us which plants you have, other members will know which of them need root tabs.

Thank ypu.

6 long beautiful reed like plant. Live Tropical Aquarium Fish Tank Plants. Java.

2x Amazon Frogbit

1x Ludwigia sp. Mini Super Red Live Aquarium Plants

5g Christmas Moss (This isn't in tank yet, still awaiting delivery)

1x Ludwigia sp. Mini Super Red Live Aquarium Plants

Afraid this plant is quite hard to grow with standard aquarium set ups, generally they need a high level of light, meaning needs high colour spectrum usually reds & blues and Co2 (though not essential imo but helps a lot) along with the usual ferts.

Chances are in the standard set up they will grow very slowly and will probably grow or turn green rather than red (hence the need for high reds and blue lights).

Just a heads up so you are aware of what may happen with this plant, not trying to discourage you as I tried that plant myself in one of my tanks years ago which was a standard set up and not tried it again since tbh.

Last edited:
Afraid this plant is quite hard to grow with standard aquarium set ups, generally they need a high level of light, meaning needs high colour spectrum usually reds & blues and Co2 (though not essential imo but helps a lot) along with the usual ferts.

Chances are in the standard set up they will grow very slowly and will probably grow or turn green rather than red (hence the need for high reds and blue lights).

Just a heads up so you are aware of what may happen with this plant, not trying to discourage you as I tried that plant myself in one of my tanks years ago which was a standard set up and not tried it again since tbh.

Thank you. They seem to be doing well at the moment, had them in around two weeks now.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back