Spider eating large dragonfly!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Rocky998

Kinda crazy, but somehow they let me stay
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
So... We need a name for this beautiful young lady! Look at how she has made herself at home on our front porch! My parents are ok with her being there cause she is outside. My little brother seems curious but wants to kill it...
So here is a few kinda good photos of her wrangling the dragon fly in her web:
20220922_112512_capture.jpg
20220922_120137_capture.jpg
20220922_120137_capture(0).jpg

Cool photos of a cool looking spider!
Maybe your bro is a bit afraid of it? In your shoes I'd maybe rope him into helping you find out what species it is - if you google which species of spiders live in your area, that might be a good place to start. Unless seeing all the different ones would scare him more. Is he generally scared of spiders?

If so, maybe find out the species on your own, and see if you can find an informative and non-dramatised/non-scary video that teaches more about the spiders habits and behaviours. Those kinds of things can reduce the fear, and make it fascinating instead. Explain that the spider doesn't want to harm him, just wants a cosy spot where it can build a web and find food in peace. :)

oohh, I second the Ripley name suggestion! That's the awesome female lead in the film Alien, in case you haven't seen it.

That is totally awesome !
Name her Ripley.
Why Ripley? Sorry... Just would like to know why
Cool photos of a cool looking spider!
Maybe your bro is a bit afraid of it? In your shoes I'd maybe rope him into helping you find out what species it is - if you google which species of spiders live in your area, that might be a good place to start. Unless seeing all the different ones would scare him more. Is he generally scared of spiders?

If so, maybe find out the species on your own, and see if you can find an informative and non-dramatised/non-scary video that teaches more about the spiders habits and behaviours. Those kinds of things can reduce the fear, and make it fascinating instead. Explain that the spider doesn't want to harm him, just wants a cosy spot where it can build a web and find food in peace. :)

oohh, I second the Ripley name suggestion! That's the awesome female lead in the film Alien, in case you haven't seen it.
Thank you! Im pretty sure she is a golden orb spider/golden banana spider (arachnida nephila) When the webs are fresh and the sun hits it JUST right, its a golden color. Really beautiful. They also have the strongest known web in the "spider-verse", in fact scientists want to make certain things out of them that would be extremely durable.
My brother HATES spiders. He tolerates pictures and videos but he just has to grow out of the fear....
I like seeing her there, I just keep my respectful distance 😅

Thank you for explaining the name Ripley! Maybe I will name her that... But I will also look at other names.

How do you know it's female?
Female Nephila are 3-4x larger than the males and generally are the ones making the webs. They also have more markings

Thank you! Im pretty sure she is a golden orb spider/golden banana spider (arachnida nephila) When the webs are fresh and the sun hits it JUST right, its a golden color. Really beautiful. They also have the strongest known web in the "spider-verse", in fact scientists want to make certain things out of them that would be extremely durable.
Did you watch a certain Wild Kratts episode to learn this or somewhere else?

Seriously, when are the mods going to give me a thong emoji?

or a can of bug spray emoji

Oops! I didn't see these comments sorry... Wonder why?... Strange
Did you watch a certain Wild Kratts episode to learn this or somewhere else?
No... I just know it cause I'm in their territory 😅
(Although I did Google their scientific name a while back)
Awesome capture Rocky !
Thank you!
Seriously, when are the mods going to give me a thong emoji?

or a can of bug spray emoji
Sorry you can only own one emoji at a time! Werewolf is all at them moment! 🤣
But NO DONT KILL HER!

Pretty, looks like a garden spider. My mom would freak out lol.

Id name it something unfitting like Kitten.
There is a species out here that kinda looks like the orb spider which is considered a garden spider.
These gals are everywhere in NC near fall time. Don't go into the woods if you're scared of spiders during fall. You will be running out 🤣.
They literally are EVERYWHERE. On fences, between fences, on trees, sometimes they make a web covering your door!
They are brave and bold cause they know that no human will have the courage to mess with it 🤣

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back