Specific Question About Feeding Neon Tetres

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

aquarist_in_china

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi,
my tank new is doing well. 8 pygmy corydoras all alive after four months, betta splendens doing well, and now 11/12 neon tetras made it and looking good. I got tetra min betta flake for the betta and mini sinking pellets for the corys. My question is whether my tetras will be okay on betta flake. I could get tetra flake and feed separately to an extent. Is it worth it when they'd be eating each others' food anyway? I have frozen daphnia and blood worm that suits them all, so should I just supplement with that a bit more often?

thanks

I would swap the betta flake for a more all round one. The betta will do better on a normal flake than the neons would do on a betta one, if that makes sense!

Remember that frozen foods like daphnia and bloodworm aren't actually very nutritious and should be fed only once or twice a week, as they also have a slightly laxative effect.

Thanks for the tip. I'll see what I can find. the betta came from a rubbish pet shop an after four months he's started bubble nesting. would be a shame to change his diet, but if I need to I will.It did occur to me that if I drop big flakes of his food near him and then tiny pieces of tetra-specific flakes at the other end of the tank there might be very little mix up in who eats what. it seemed like a hassle, but it also sounds preferable to changing the beta's diet when he's doing well. what do you think?

The tetras will love frozen bbs. Hikari is an enriched brand and very good for the fish. I have kept schools of cardinals and rummy nose and have found they will eat most any food readily. So from this standpoint i should be easy to give them a varied diet.

Mongabay suggests: "FOOD: Flakes; live; insect larvae, Brine Shrimp, Tubifex, Daphnia. "
Seriouslyfish suggests: "In aquaria it may survive on a diet of dried foods but like most fishes does best when offered a varied menu which in this case should also contain live and frozen chironomid larvae (bloodworm), mosquito larvae, DaphniaMoina, etc."
Badman's suggesst: "Once established they are easily fed and cared for with flake and frozen food."

Thanks again. I like variety of food. I'll pick up a small tub of a general flake from a good brand like hikari when I next get chance. If I give abit of that and they can get brine shrimp and bloodworm once a wee each they should do pretty great. I got my tank right when it start getting cold and am perversely looking forward to the mosquitos coming back in spring. I think a bucket on my balcony will provide nutritious larvae for all with minimal effort and give them an awesome diet. I also plan to cultivate some fruit fly larvae- the little tiny white larvae ought to be good food to throw into the mix.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back