Spawning Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

dmarie04

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I've read that spawning tanks should be anywhere from 2.5-10 gallons. Would there be a problem with using a 20 gallon? It's only about 4 inches longer than the ten gallon, and it wouldn't be filled all the way to the top, so the height shouldn't be a problem.
I was going to use my extra ten gallon for the bettas to spawn in, but it's full of platy fry right now. I was gonna move the fry, but I kind of like them where they are. If I have to move them, I can....but if the 20 gallon would work, then it'd make things soo much easier :)

Should Be Fine As Long As You Dont Fill It Much...Only About A Quarter...Maybe Less. Its So The Fry Can Get The Food Easier, Rather Than Looking Around For Ages For Food. As They Get Older, Gradually Put More Water In Every 2 Weeks Or So :good:

That should be fine. The only problem with a bigger tank is that the female can hide from the male to the point where he forgets she's even in there, lol. But that's not too big, and if you have that problem you can always divide off part of the tank to make the area smaller. :)

Thanks for the quick responses. It's gonna save a bunch of time and energy..do you know how hard it is to catch a bunch of platy fry?! LOL The betta spawning will be next weekend, and it's my first attempt ever, so wish me luck! :)

Why don't you use a tank divider to create two 10 gallon aquariums? :good:
You mean have one side for spawning and one for other fish? I'm not sure that would work because the tiny little fry might get passed the divider and get eaten. Plus, whoever was on the other side might not like the low water level. But I might use a divider to section off some of the tank if the female has too much room to hide.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back