Sparkling or croaking gourami?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

DeanoL83

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, I was just wondering which of these gourami is generally better suited to a community tank? Was thinking of getting a group of 6-8 of them and will definitely get floating plants for them.

200L tank with 6 cories, 10 platies, 8 penguin tetra, 9 glowlight tetra and about 8 other random tetra from previous schools that I'm not replacing

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

There is not much difference other than in their size; the croaking gourami (Trichopsis vitatta) attains around 3 inches, with the pygmy sparkling (Trichopsis pumila) much smaller at 1 inch. A group of whichever is a very good idea, as both will show some interesting interactive behaviours if there are males and females in six or more (difficult to tell gender but a group of six plus should work out OK).

You're correct on the floating plant; Water Sprite is the ideal floater here, as it is substantial. Get this (or similar floating plants) growing before adding the gourami as they will be much less stressed from the lower fish if they have cover. Otherwise, it might finish them off quickly.

When kept in a group, the males will regularly "battle" but not with fights; instead they display in pairs, flexing their bodies to create waves in the water that presumably are detected by the other fish as a sign of strength. During these displays as well as during courtship, the males make grating or croaking sounds like a rapid series of clicks. [This applies to both species.] In a 1992 study, Friedrich Ladich et.al. determined that this sound is important not only in breeding displays but also in antagonistic displays of males to establish dominance. The "croak" is a series of double pulses generated by rapid beating of the pectoral fins. Another study by Ladich in 1998 established that the sounds vary according to the individual fish and the sound frequency had a role in determining the outcome of the encounter between rival fish.

Thanks for the information Byron, I'll see which my LFS has in stock at the moment. Do they generally keep to the top third of the tank?

I struggle to find water sprite in a lot of our stores here in Australia but see a plant called 'lace fern' which looks pretty similar to me. Do you know if they are the same? I also love the look of cardamine lyrata or the giant cardamine. Would that be ok for sparkling gourami?

My LFS has a special on cardinal tetra at the moment too which I've always loved - are they suitable tankmates for the gourami?

Thanks so much for your help

Do they generally keep to the top third of the tank?

Yes, perhaps upper half is more accurate.

I struggle to find water sprite in a lot of our stores here in Australia but see a plant called 'lace fern' which looks pretty similar to me. Do you know if they are the same?

No idea. Without the scientific name, impossible to be certain. But could be, as Water Sprite is a true fern.

I also love the look of cardamine lyrata or the giant cardamine. Would that be ok for sparkling gourami?

Cardamine is a stem plant, and some stem plants do well left floating rather than rooted in the substrate. I use Pennywort for this with good results. Once it grows thick is forms a fairly dense mass and that is what you want. Gourami are surface fish that live among floating vegetation so they can hide, find food and build bubblenests (the species that do this, and the croaking do).

My LFS has a special on cardinal tetra at the moment too which I've always loved - are they suitable tankmates for the gourami?

Yes, cardinals remain in the lower half generally.

Again thank you so much for your help and advice Byron it's much appreciated

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back