Sparkling gourami in 5 gallon

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

wilcovxp

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just got a 5 gallon nano cube. I really love sparkling gourami so I'm dying to get some. Is a five gallon okay if its planted / has a lot of hiding spots? (looking for a pair/trio). I'm not a beginner since I'm keeping fish for over a year now, I know how to keep stable water parameters. Online it says that sparkling gourami require a 10 gallon or bigger but I'm also finding people with sparkling gourami in 5 gallon tanks without a problem. Is it worth the risk or will these fish definitely be unhappy in this tank?

A pair would be fine, provided its species only and densely planted :)

Happy day...agreed, and you can visit Youtube and search out Foo the Flowerhorn to see his wonderful videos about his 5g and the gourami.

Happy day EYP...yeah, good old Loomster. He released a new video yesterday. That dude inspired two tanks of mine and I am pondering converting another to Walstad.

Attachments

• 1607107559529.jpg
    1607107559529.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 106
And a good day to you, my Lord!

Your RRFs are very happy and healthy looking, as well as the rest of the gorgeous tank.

His were the first videos I started watching about aquascaping, and began with Walstad but then I could not sustain the bioload without filters. That said, I still follow The Ecology of The Planted Aquarium and is one of my favorite bedtime stories, sitting next to Pablo Neruda and Umberto Eco.

My tanks are all heavily planted and I am now experimenting with an Epiphytes-only tank. We'll see how that goes. It is the largest tank I have at 12.7 gal. and where Ojitos currently lives with Archibald Spooner and friends.

Please keep me updated on your tank adventures!

Happy day EYP...how gross was that? Why would it be white inside? That guy is definitely far more handy than I will ever be. I think those were the feeder ghost shrimp and they were certainly chowing on everything in dumped in there.

You know...you probably have some amazing native species up there that might go great in your tank. My first try at emulating Foo produced a tank with http://www.isaacszabo.com/nanfa/2017/10 Gulf Coast Pygmy Sunfish.jpg as the main inhabitants and a few shrimp. I found a place called Sachs Aquaculture that sells local natives species in Floriduh, so perhaps you'll find one up there that also does that.

I also discovered that when I throw out the excess RRFs, the remaining ones color up very well and split like mad. I have very little understanding about water chemistry, and am sure someone here knows what is happening, but I presume that there are simply fewer plants to collect the nutrients, so the remaining ones simply feast.

Greetings, Happiest of Lords!

That is a possibility, and also, the remaining ones become crazy light collectors which explains their beautiful red roots.

As far as native species, I would love an octopus! I was happy to visit our resident one but for health reasons I can't go scuba diving anymore, plus here is dry suit conditions as the best visibility puts the water at 46F

Floriduh, don't forget, has milder weather. I am a cold weather person, and will definitely wilt if I lived there ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back