Spanish Ribbed Newt New Arrival

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

yoruyongbpei

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, My Fiancee and I have just recently purchased a Spanish ribbed newt, he is currently in a moderately planted 20 gallon tank with a filter that is being displaced by a landing, The water temp is being kept at 70-71F, with a sand substrate and two different hiding zones and plenty of smooth medium size stones around the tank. We are thinking of Aquarium mates to add in with him, so far we have come up with the idea of Cherry shrimp, Bamboo shrimp, Buenas Aires Tetras, Threadfin Rainbowfish, Nerite Snails, and Blue Mystery snails, none of these have been added in yet we are till speculating, if you guys have any suggestions we would love to hear them 

Careful with adding shrimps and snails, they might become food. Worse, they may cause impaction if the newt eats them

thank you for the advice i have heard that I added in large snails and shrimp, I was thinking of adding in cherry shrimp though as a food stock would they cause impaction even though they are so small

It's mostly because shrimp head has pointed parts. But if your newt is gonna be as big as your hand then small shrimps won't be a problem at all. Thanks goodness hey have a slow growth rate but they'll be needing a bigger tank once it reaches adulthood

Alrighty thank you very much for your advice, we are going to be moving him to a 40 gallon long for fullsize when we get more room I am actually going to be posting a journal about the newt tank sometime soon.

yoruyongbpei said:
Alrighty thank you very much for your advice, we are going to be moving him to a 40 gallon long for fullsize when we get more room I am actually going to be posting a journal about the newt tank sometime soon.
Oh please do. Don't forget pics! Love those newts.. Used to have them in Bahrain til they were illegalized lol

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back