Spaghetti junction...

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Brendanpat

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all. Any electrician fish keepers on here ?or what does everyone do for plug sockets . I keep having to add more and more adapters and multi adapters to my electric supply . Is it safe enough having everything running off the one wall socket ?

As long as your load doesn't exceed 13Amps, which with LED lights etc is unlikely, you'll be fine.
(You can run about 12 200watt heaters from a single socket, though I wouldn't.)
I use a switched 6 gang extension lead, that way I can turn off things without having to unplug them or turning everything off.

Last edited:
I have a 4 gang screwed onto the back of my unit ,then I got a timer and its blocked another one so have a triple adapter in the gang . And now I need more for a plant light and an air pump so I'll have to rig something else . Yeah was thinking everything is pretty low amps so should be fine . That's what I tell the wife anyway :D

You can get a surface mount box for converting single gang to twin gang sockets as well.
Is the triple adaptor one of those square things, I tend to avoid those where possible.

I got one of these, which runs two tanks, then a second six plug etension cord in a different socket runs the third tank. It was a nightmare before this though, and a fire hazard. Gotta be careful!

Edit because I always forget to include the link

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I really want to get an electrician in and wire some extra plug sockets, the room with most of my tanks only has two places with outlets on the same side of the room, and it's awkward, could really use some more plug sockets, in another area.

I really want to get an electrician in and wire some extra plug sockets, the room with most of my tanks only has two places with outlets on the same side of the room, and it's awkward, could really use some more plug sockets, in another area.
Yes youd never have enough outlets . Especially in this hobby !

I done some work in a house that had just been completed, there was a double socket in every corner, the guy who built the house had come from an old house with a single socket per room and he wanted to make sure he had enough sockets. I bet he still didn't..........
I feel his pain! Old house, not many sockets, although not as bad as one socket per room at least!

Electrical idiot question time: Is it bad to have an extension cord in each socket of a double socket?

It's not terrible, and far better than "daisy chaining" extensions, but be aware of your load, if your running a lot of heaters and kettles etc you can be in bother, but for the stuff aquariums use you should be grand. If everything is correctly fused again no issues.
And if any cable starts to get warm stop using it and have a think.

It's not terrible, and far better than "daisy chaining" extensions, but be aware of your load, if your running a lot of heaters and kettles etc you can be in bother, but for the stuff aquariums use you should be grand. If everything is correctly fused again no issues.
And if any cable starts to get warm stop using it and have a think.
Awesome, thank you very much!
Nope, no kettles or anything, those we just plug and unplug as needed, but the aquariums are run on the two extension cords on a double socket, it's the only way they can reach the tanks. But I wouldn't dare daisy chain attach extension cords to each other, that would be too much!

Just a caveat, I'm not a qualified electrician, but I am an estates officer and have experience finding out why the electric keeps tripping, usually due to it being overloaded. The caravan park I used to run wasn't impressed that I reduced all their supplies to 10Amp until I could get the supply upgraded, when the park electrics was originally done the potential load far exceeded the supply......

Make sure you have a surge protector. I have clearly not read other posts but here's my set up. I tie all extra lengths. I've each tank plugged in each side.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000OV0CEY/?tag=
PXL_20201012_155609070.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20201012_155603112.jpg
    PXL_20201012_155603112.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 65
  • PXL_20201012_155559102.jpg
    PXL_20201012_155559102.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 64
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back