Space Travel

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I wouldn't worry.
I did a quick scan of the thread, pages 1 - 40, between jobs.

Non-fish topics and opinions covered included;
  • Books, (Sherlock Holmes and Dickens)
  • Pets in General...with very little fishy-content.
  • Brexit.
  • The personal appearance of certain YouTubers and others.
  • Unboxing videos
  • American politics
  • 'Paperwork best delegated to peasants'.
See I am special, my own thread started by the mods.

Why can't there be another planet on the other side of the sun just like earth. We would never see it. It would balance the forces of our planet. The radiation from the sun would be the same as what is reaching us therefore the life on that planet would be the same. If you go to another solar system, all the chemical and radiation will be different therefore the life forms would be unrecognizable. At least with my planet we would be able to talk to each other.
Said planet would also have a measurable effect on the known planets, in terms of orbital deviations, etc..
If you refused to believe in physics and mathematics...and satellites and probes, then your idea could hold some water.
BUT...in order to talk to each other, we'd need satellites, which don't exist! :D :D

Why can't there be another planet on the other side of the sun just like earth. We would never see it. It would balance the forces of our planet. The radiation from the sun would be the same as what is reaching us therefore the life on that planet would be the same. If you go to another solar system, all the chemical and radiation will be different therefore the life forms would be unrecognizable. At least with my planet we would be able to talk to each other.
Hmmmm, you could be onto something. Maybye they should put a satellite over the sun. You should send that to nasa, you would be famous

Can I just say that you are all doing a lot more to prove they went than I am doing to say why they didn't?
It’s easy to just say something is not true with a minimal amount of facts, or opinions, to support that statement. In order to provide the proof of the truth a lot of input of facts to show the realty. For example if I said the Earth was flat proving me wrong, persuading me otherwise, would take a lot more than just saying “no it‘s not”.

I will change my view as soon as any country sends man through the radiation belt, and they return to earth safely. Mind you it has only been 50 years since they did it the last time.
What's this radiation belt you refer to?

In February we had a spacecraft land on mars. It took 7 months to get there. From the Mars lander, if there were a telescope on board, you could see the other side of the sun opposite earths orbit and any point in time and would see if there were a planet there.
Here's the neat video of Perseverence landing on the Mar's surface.

In February we had a spacecraft land on mars. It took 7 months to get there. From the Mars lander, if there were a telescope on board, you could see the other side of the sun opposite earths orbit and any point in time and would see if there were a planet there.
Here's the neat video of Perseverence landing on the Mar's surface.
James Cameron would produce a much better video. ;)

I will change my view as soon as any country sends man through the radiation belt, and they return to earth safely. Mind you it has only been 50 years since they did it the last time.
We actually have done it since then... It was a few years ago during a spaceX operation

My bet is soon we will send men to land on mars
No chance. You guys are nowhere near having the technology.

I was stationed here from Hippocamp (not far from @Colin_T s home planet in space terms) a few weeks after JFK started banging on about sending a man to the moon before the end of the 60s.
My mission is to report back on your general space travel progress yearly (Neptune years that is). It’s a great gig tbh. Every 168.4 earth years I‘ll email “Still no further than the moon“ and after that my times my own until the next reports due. Free travel, accommodation, food, health care and pension included in a very generous package.
Mind I may need to make a special report home about @itiwhetu as it seems like he knows too much.

Talking extraterrestrial life. Why do we send space probes away from the sun. The most likely place in the universe that another life form will be is on our sister planet. In the exact same orbit as us on the other side of the sun. It will be the same distance from the sun and have the same gravitation forces, it is there that we will find another race we can talk to. We will never find anything in another galaxy that we can chat with.
You wouldn’t like it. They’re nine feet tall, run 100m in four seconds and play to a higher standard than the All Blacks ever will.

There's been an idea of another Earth on the opposite side of the sun to us for decades. Sadly, it was disproved by satellites and probes that have used the sun for a slingshot into the outer Solar System.
It was once thought that Mars was inhabited, especially when those 'canals' were viewed and Edgar Rice Burroughs wrote all about it. Sadly, this was all disproved by actually going there.
It was also thought that Venus shared a similar fate and ERB wrote all about that, too. Sadly...etc..
The latest science reports on Venus make interesting, but ultimately disappointing reading.
Around this particular star, it does appear that we are alone.
That said, the oceans remain largely unexplored and who's to say Pellucidar doesn't exist?*

It is likely that there is life, even what we might recognise as 'intelligent' life out there, but the problem isn't one of distance, but of time.
Our life form and subsequent civilisation has only existed within the merest blink of Time, which is truly vast. It will likely still be only a blink, when we are long extinct.
The chances of our 'blink' coinciding with that 'blink' of another intelligent life form are somewhat remote. However, given that stuff doesn't decay at a rapid rate in space, it is remotely possible that we might find remnants of extinct civilisations...and that brings forth all manner of interesting possibilities.

*Okay, I admit it...I like ERB. :p
An earthling once wrote something along the lines of the two scariest thoughts an earthling could imagine are:
A/ We’re alone in the universe.
B/ We aren’t alone in the universe.

With the conditions for creating/sustaining life being so precise it would be very rare for life to occur, but considering the vastness of the universe there are probably millions of planets with life. But due to the size of the universe, we will never know of it's existence.

An earthling once wrote something along the lines of the two scariest thoughts an earthling could imagine are:
A/ We’re alone in the universe.
B/ We aren’t alone in the universe.
Arthur C. Clarke...
"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back