South American River Theme?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Talz

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm not exactly new to fish keeping, but I've been out of the hobby for many years, and would like to get some help setting up a tank. I'm only in a small apartment right now, so it couldn't be anything too big. Honestly, it's mostly the weight I'm worried about. I'm thinking about a 20 gallon might be suitable.

One setup I always wanted to try is the classic South American river. I like to work around the theme of three species: a primary schooling fish, a bottom feeder, and a centerpiece.

Ideally the centerpiece would be a small group of discus, but I know I can't get anything big enough for them, so I was thinking maybe some blue rams? I want the primary school to be something bold and colorful, and I was thinking cardinal tetra would really suit the theme. For a bottom feeder, I'm thinking some corydoras would be perfect, but I'm not sure what type yet. My concern here is mainly temperature.

I'm also planning on adding some plants, and maybe a driftwood centerpiece of sorts, but I have no experience with planted tanks and would like to get some thoughts.

Anyway, I was hoping you guys could shoot some suggestions my way, and maybe tell me a bit about similar setups you may have done.

Hope to hear from you!

Hey all,

I'm not exactly new to fish keeping, but I've been out of the hobby for many years, and would like to get some help setting up a tank. I'm only in a small apartment right now, so it couldn't be anything too big. Honestly, it's mostly the weight I'm worried about. I'm thinking about a 20 gallon might be suitable.

One setup I always wanted to try is the classic South American river. I like to work around the theme of three species: a primary schooling fish, a bottom feeder, and a centerpiece.

Ideally the centerpiece would be a small group of discus, but I know I can't get anything big enough for them, so I was thinking maybe some blue rams? I want the primary school to be something bold and colorful, and I was thinking cardinal tetra would really suit the theme. For a bottom feeder, I'm thinking some corydoras would be perfect, but I'm not sure what type yet. My concern here is mainly temperature.

I'm also planning on adding some plants, and maybe a driftwood centerpiece of sorts, but I have no experience with planted tanks and would like to get some thoughts.

Anyway, I was hoping you guys could shoot some suggestions my way, and maybe tell me a bit about similar setups you may have done.

Hope to hear from you!

A Blue Ram would fit in your 20 gallon, don't worry. As for tankmates, you will need other fish compatible for the high temperature.
I know that Cardinal and Rummy-Nose Tetras can both happily live in the ram's required 82*F. As for bottom dwellers, Sterbai Corys can also comfortably live at that temperature, but they need a sand bottom or else they injure their whiskers! :good:

A Blue Ram would fit in your 20 gallon, don't worry. As for tankmates, you will need other fish compatible for the high temperature.
I know that Cardinal and Rummy-Nose Tetras can both happily live in the ram's required 82*F. As for bottom dwellers, Sterbai Corys can also comfortably live at that temperature, but they need a sand bottom or else they injure their whiskers! :good:

Perfect advice!!

I would do

2 Blue Rams (1m 1f) - any colour you like, Blue, Gold, Dutch, Electric Blue, Lilac - I think you can get a red strain now?
10 Rummy Nose Tetras
8 Sterbai Cories

Blue Rams need high temperatures so around 28c and a low ph 6.8 or less but not really low - what is your tap water like? You can get things like Alder Cones and Almond Leaves that help lower your ph naturally and avoid the chemicals and problems that can arise.

Wills

Are Sterbai Cory the only ones that can handle that temp, and more importantly can they be in that temp 24/7 and not suffer any adverse side effects?

As for my tap water, it's naturally soft and acidic as I live right on the coast, in a rainforest. :p I don't know exactly, but it's somewhere in the 6 range.

I like Rummy's, but Cardinals just stand out more for me. How do their space requirements compare to other tetra?

instead of sterbai corys, try black kuhli loaches, idk if they are in south american river, but they handle the temp. and you could also have about 6 or 8, but they would contribute less to the bioload then the corys

Those are from Asia, so it'd break the theme. My experience with loaches is also that they hide a lot. Still though, they had crossed my mind.

Are there rainforests in Canada? :unsure:
Sterbai cories are usually kept with Blue Rams, Discus, etc in warm, soft water, they will be fine. The rams might pick on them a little if they wander into the wrong territory though. Khuli Loaches are from SEA, not the Amazon.
Cardinal Tetras should do just as well as Rummynoses, iirc. I remember seeing them together in professional aquariums, but a confirmation would be good.

Temperate rainforests, yes. I worry about the rams hurting the cories, how aggressive can they get?

I think it depends mostly on your pair, as with all cichlids, some individuals are worse than others. If you give the rams some definite territory boundaries, they might not dominate the entire area, and give the cories some room.

if you break up thier line of sights, with plants etc., then they will not be as agressive. but most will be fine with corys

So if I go with blue rams, cardinal tetra, and sterbai cory, what might be some suitable plants from the region that can tolerate those temperatures? I also wouldn't mind trying for odd numbers of fish and plants, as I've heard it somehow looks more natural.

So if I go with blue rams, cardinal tetra, and sterbai cory, what might be some suitable plants from the region that can tolerate those temperatures? I also wouldn't mind trying for odd numbers of fish and plants, as I've heard it somehow looks more natural.

Odd numbers are more natural, but you don't have room for a male ram and two females
I'd do:

2x Rams (1m/1f)
11-13x Cardinals
9x Sterbai Corys

Can't help you with plants, sorry :look:

Do rams really need to be in pairs? What about just one ram, or cutting back on tetra or cory for a third?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back