South American ram, mikrogeophagus ramirezi

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

slamster17

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hello,
I was wondering if it would be ok to get a single male ram for my 10 gallon tank with 3 gouramis and 3 platies. i have alkaline water and i was told that they should be fine if that is what the lfs keeps them in. i also have hard well water. the tank is a ten gallon but things can be relocated. the main question is about my water situation.

thanx

How alkaline is your water? Adding a pair of rams might be a lot of bioload with the gouramis and platies, I don't know how "wasteful" those fish are...

My water is pretty hard, but I've got the pH down to 6.6 from 8.3 out of the tap by using the "Proper pH 6.5" that my lfs uses in their own tanks with fish that require special water, like their discus tank.

That said, it is easier to get fish suited for your water rather than trying to suit your water to your fish :p :p

Well if you slowly acclimated a ram to your tank with that water... I dont think it would be a big deal... but I dont know how it would do with platies and gouramis. But I think that you might be overstocked in 10 adding a ram. You said you can move stuff..... Depending on the aggressivness of your other fish they could tear up a ram. I've heard of some pretty aggressive gouramis. While yours might not be aggressive right now... they might not like a ram kwim? I think if you try it you should make sure you have someplace to move the ram if it gets beat up.

If you DO decide to do it... this is how you should acclimate... (in case you dont know) Take the fish and the water its in and dump it into a container that can hold twice the amount of water that the fish is in already. Then slowly over a few hours add a little bit of the tank water at a time that the fish is going into until you have at least doubled the amount of water in the container... That way it slowly gets used to your pH, hardness and such without stressing it out and sending it into shock. :)

If you have a bigger tank why not put them all in there with the ram?? If the ram has been acclimatised at the lfs then it will be fine in your water....but I wouldn't expect it to breed in hard water! (assuming you got a mate of course down the line!)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back